Sunday, August 21, 2022

Catching up!

 

The weekend before school started were time trials for cross country. We have two runners this year. Will and the other varsity boys wore their duck shorts from last year. Will is not wearing a shirt so he'll be easy to pick out in the picture :)

L-R: Daniel, Kaden, Greg, Frank, Jackson, Will

Ivy had the whole varisty boys team yelling for her on the last leg of the run. Pretty cool!

School started for the kids on August 8. It was not so bad. Will has an open period first period, wears his running clothes to school (because he's a senior and doesn't care) and is having an easy year of guitar because even though he is in advanced, they have combined it with intermediate students who didn't have a teacher for most of their year of beginning guitar. Also, there is a cute girl who sits in front of him in his US Government class and all of his running friends have the same lunch. 
Will: First day of senior year. On his way to the gym before school. (Also ran XC after school - often goes to the gym as well as running 5-7 miles per day. CRAZY!)

Ivy has a pretty good schedule. She has friends in every class, which is good, but she thinks she would try harder to make more friends if she really needed to. She says all her teachers are okay, but her AP Human Geography teacher is super dynamic and great. He is a wonderful introduction to the world of AP classes. I think her Spanish 2h  teacher sounds especially good too, but Ivy is not impressed with Mrs. Sosa's energy and funny Spanish videos. Ha ha!
Ivy even has friends to sit with at lunch and bus buddies. Freshman year is going to be a snap for this young whippersnapper :)

My school year looks like it will be not quite what I expected, but doable. No absolute nut jobs yet. The worst it got was last week a mouthy freshman girl asked me if I was pregnant. She still thinks we're friends, so my response must have been something okay to say at school. Next time though I think I'll run it like a play and say, "aaaaaaaand cut scene. This time let's try it without the snarky questions so we can all remain friends. Let's take it from, 'This is your warm-up for today.'"

Will had senior sunrise this last Friday. I can't believe it! He is slowly coming up with a plan for after high school. He wants to do a welding apprenticeship. It sounds like there is a shortage of welders and he can get a paid apprenticeship while working on getting his associates from CSN. So proud of him! Coming up with a viable plan is not easy!!

Jackson got him a Spiderman backpack that he takes to school with him every day this year.

Bill is finding ways to manage his back pain - and mostly just live with it. He is finding more and more exercises that will strengthen the right areas to help. He is also working hard at getting reports out for these commercial real estate appraisals. Lots to learn, but it's right in his wheelhouse. He has found a way to use most if not all the skills he has used in prior jobs. Pretty cool, huh?

Faith just moved into her new apartment this weekend. She gave me a short video tour yesterday and it looks really nice! Her friend, Audrey, has helped her to get all the color out of her hair and trying to get back to her natural color. I keep wanting more pictures!! How did I end up too far away to be a part of the process?? Something went wrong there! She is liking her new job with the Reno Gazette Journal and is reporting on crime in and around Reno so far.

3 comments:

Kayci said...

Thanks for the catch up! Will looks like he has great running buddies and Ivy has great perks being the younger sister! All of your school years sound like they are off to a good start. I hope you don’t get any crazies or nut cases this year. I hope Bill keeps finding things to help with his back. It’s great he can utilize all of the skills he has gained. I think it is fun that Faith is going to her natural colors and sorry for both of us that you are close enough for more pictures because I don’t get to see either.

Paige said...

Your planned response for the next time is priceless. I hope you remember to use it.

Will not only works out like a maniac, he has a post graduation perspective. That’s impressive.

I like how Ivy is a runner and a great evaluator of teachers.

And, Faith. Going back to blonde, is she? I wonder if she will get discriminated against. That actually happened to Azya.

HW said...

Will is also naked on top so we can appreciate his totally ripped torso. He has really been working hard! He seems absolutely perfect for a senior guy. I just love him! And I love his friends too for yelling for Ivy. That part made me tear up just a little bit. I love Ivy too! I am so glad she has friends and good teachers and Will there at the school for this year! And Faith! I want to see pictures of the hair progress too!

I like your idea for having an immediate re-do. It seems like it would be great for teenagers to get an immediate reset periodically. Your students are lucky to have you.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...