Sunday, February 19, 2023

Making grown-ups!

The week before last Will turned 18! I didn't even post about it. I will have to post more about it after our trip to Miami. Will can now buy a gun, vote, buy a fish and write his own absence excuse notes for school. At 18 he is 5'11" and weighs right around 145. He can dead lift 275 and has the bruises on his legs to prove it. He is very ready to graduate. He has decided to do what he loves so he is focusing on pole vaulting rather than running. He almost cleared 11 feet at the last meet on Friday, but looks like he should be able to clear 12.5 feet. I can't believe my 5.5 pound baby is now a grown man. (Papa Fred called and told him he was a grown man now - so there. It's done!)




Faith has been making sure that Collin is resting this weekend instead of doing all the many projects he has going on. Collin is sick, so he is only allowed to weld one thing onto his bike :) We have been making more wedding plans and I recently made a list of things Faith wants to do and doesn't want to do at her wedding. So far we have: Will is going to play the guitar for the wedding (prelude and going down the aisle), instead of putting "Faith & Collin" on wedding favors and such she wants to put "Eureka!", there will not be an open mic or any sort of weird garter action, she will throw her bouquet and Collin will throw chocolate, they will release butterflies after the ceremony. It has been fun to watch Faith's preferences emerge. It will definitely be a unique and beautiful wedding!


Below is evidence of Luna in our house. She chomps on any cardboard or paper bags. This was Will's gift bag for his birthday and you can see how Luna helped decorate the bag at the top. Silly cat.




Last week we went thrifting and found these really cool tire mirrors for Will's room. They are now hanging in his room and look pretty good!

Also, I had a student do a Be Real of me while I did one of her in my last class. Hers turned out better than mine:



Ivy has a fancy birthday party to go to this weekend. They are having a dress-up, sit down fancy dinner for Holland's 15th birthday. Ivy has been a little bit flummoxed by the whole thing. It's a great opportunity for her to do something different! Last week she gathered all of her courage to stay after school to ask her math teacher for help with geometry. It was a good thing to do. She did much better on the latest quiz. She is the president of her English class and has two vice presidents helping her. She giggles a little bit about it. Below is "President Evans" in English class.




 

2 comments:

Paige said...

That last photo of President Evans made me giggle. She is so uninhibited. I just love that about her. I’m with you on the wedding plans. I’m so glad that everybody lets Faith choose. Even Colin. What a great thing. Apparently, her in laws are pretty easy-going about it as well. Will being 18 and he can buy a fish? A fish really? Couldn’t he do that before? You are gorgeous in your be real photo with your student. I have to do an explanation that the Be Real would only show me sitting without make up in one place because that’s where I get reception. It would be super boring. That’s why I’ve been mostly quiet on that app. When I’m out in the world doing stuff, understanding Be Real rules — just too hard.

HW said...

I was sure I had commented on this! Paige is right. That picture of Ivy is the best thing ever. I think it is so cute she giggles about being class president. But then again, who has presidents of a single English class? Cute! And Faith is adorable. And Will too. Happy very late birthday to him. I thought about him as an infant when it happened. I loved that trip out to Connecticut for me to hold him as a newborn. Thank you for sharing your baby with me!

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...