I had a 2.5 week job start at McQueen High School (less than a mile up the hill from where we live) last week and have been busily learning all about ionic, covalent and hydrogen bonds with biology students. It's really nice to be back at school and it makes me realize how much classroom teachers do that I just don't have to do as a sub: no grading papers, no lesson planning, no inputting grades and no meetings. It's nice to just show up :)
![]() |
| I subbed middle school band one day. It was light work and kinda fun. The poor teacher had been evacuated because of wildfires. |
Ivy has started ROTC at UNR. She officially has her gear as of today too. School sounds busy and good. We don't hear too much from her, but when we do she sounds like she is doing all the wonderful things that college students get to do. Living with friends is fun and exhausting.
She did want to come get her car this weekend, but we were using it to block out "burners" who are staying at the adjacent unit to us which is an Airbnb (erg!) Burning Man started this last weekend and Reno is the stopping off point to load up RVs with bicycles, food and other supplies as well as drugs before heading out to Gerlach. (Seriously, Bill saw them loading up the RV wearing hazmat gear!) It was a rough 5-6 days around these parts. Faith says it's even worse when they get back.
![]() |
| I took only one picture, but you can see the RV and a girl taking a selfie (her arm, anyway!) It was through the blinds! |
The good news is that Will is coming up for Labor Day weekend and we are really excited to see him. Ivy is even going to stay with us over the weekend. That's the draw that Will brings! He has warned us that he might be showing up with facial hair (a mustache.) We can't wait to see him.






3 comments:
Glad you’re getting more time in the classroom! A job you love is good for the soul, even better when it comes with some good Dad jokes. And seriously — those burners will look and smell waaaayyyyy worse when they come back from the Playa covered in dust. For your sake, I pray they’re getting on a plane very soon. As for Will, he hinted to me that he may be coming to Reno with something much more permanent than a mustache… 😂
Can't wait to see the 'stache! And oh my--maybe some ink? Sorry about the neighbors. I guess you are learning about where not to find a permanent place. I am so glad you got to teach. I loved getting a short science quiz from you. It's okay to do that again if you need to! ;)
I'm so glad you took the photo of the band director sign. It's an amusing one. I also liked hearing about your take on burning man. Going to be a super fun time for everybody but you.
Post a Comment