Will was baptized yesterday. What a wonderful day! When Will was 3 and 4 years old he told me several times that he didn't want to be baptized. I never said anything about it really, but just thought in my head, "We'll see what you say when you're eight." He was really ready. I told him several times over the past few weeks that he didn't have to be baptized if he didn't want to do it and that he really shouldn't do it just because Dad and I want him to. He finally told me, "Mom, I want to be baptized. I know that God wants me to be baptized, and I would want to do it even if you and Dad didn't want me to." That put me at ease.
His baptism was really beautiful (and I know because I've seen a bad baptism...for another post). He was baptized with another darling little girl from our ward, Brook. She is also in his class at school and her father is Bill's home teaching companion. Faith did a beautiful job leading the singing. She has never done it in public before and after we practiced she told me, "Don't worry, Mom. I usually do best under pressure." Okay. She was great! I gave the opening prayer, Aunt Trisha gave the talk on baptism, Brook's father, who has a beautiful singing voice, sang "I Like To Look For Rainbows." We then went to the font for the baptisms. Papa Fred and Uncle Greg witnessed the baptism. Will was surprised and pleased that the water was warm. I saw him open his eyes during the prayer and look up at his dad. He didn't plug his nose and his feet stayed on the ground. He came back with slightly wonky hair (his mother wasn't there to fix it for him.) After that, Brook's grandfather gave a talk on The Holy Ghost and the confirmations took place. Bill confirmed Will and gave him a very sweet blessing about using the Holy Ghost in his life to seek out great books and words of wisdom that will help his testimony grow, and using the gift of the Holy Ghost to develop his talents so he will be more able to serve others and build the kingdom. Standing in the circle were: Papa Fred, Uncle Greg, Adam Dawson (Brook's dad), and Michael Rawlins, the member of the bishopric conducting the meeting.
I have been so grateful ever since yesterday for Sister Angels who got the programs ready and set up a beautiful table for us to put a picture of our kids on; the Dawson family, who brought a piano player, lots of family and were very kind to work with on the program; Brother Rawlins, who wasn't bothered at all about the very last minute changes we made to the program and was willing to wait for however long we needed before starting the actual baptism, and had insightful remarks to conclude the baptism; Kaden, Will's best friend, who bugged his mom to bring him to Will's baptism; Trisha and Greg for coming all they way from Utah for this baptism and participating in the program; Mom and Dad for coming even though they have been sick and for participating as well; Bill, who lives worthy to exercise the priesthood and perform ordinances for his children; Will who knew what he was doing and truly wants to do what God wants him to do.
This was the picture we used:
Sunday, March 3, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...

6 comments:
Oh I loved this report! I savored each sentence. It was almost like being there...at least I could imagine how wonderful it would have been to be there. Let's face it, being there would have been about 100x better than reading about it though.
Give that boy a hug from his Auntie Heather! I can't wait to do it in person. And really, I want to read about the bad baptism too! You write so well.
And this background and format are an improvement I think. Good job.
Oh yes! It was truly wonderful.
A small side note--sweet Trisha told me, "I always wondered where Will got his beautiful blue eyes, and I see that he got them from you." Is it wrong that I felt so down deep pleased?
He's so wonderful. I love his answer about his commitment.
I also like your background and the casual looking heading font.
Congratulations Will! I am proud of the choices that your are making. You do have very good looking blue eyes.
Post a Comment