Monday, June 1, 2015

Finishing Up May

While Bill was in Haiti, I took the kids to the park on Sunday afternoon, where we found a big box in the dumpster. They were excited enough about it to carry it all the way home from the park. It provided a day or two of entertainment. I think the last activity we did with it before dumping it again was to make our stairs into a slide.
The next weekend, when Bill was home, the kids were too busy drawing to come on a walk at The Wetlands Park.  We were okay with that too. One more date this week :) That park is huge. We found a little trail out near Lake Las Vegas that proclaimed to be part of Wetlands Park.
The next weekend was my Dad's birthday. He and Mom invited all their kids to meet them at Sam Conlin's wedding reception. I kept on asking Bill if we should go to Utah, but was mostly answered with coughs and congestion. Saturday morning I woke up and realized that I just really really wanted to go see my dad for his birthday. Bill was nice enough to let his main caretaker go while he was sick.  I took Will and Ivy with me. They did great on the ride up. We listened to books on CD.

And it was so much fun to see my Conlin cousins and catch up.  Once they turned the music up and the lights down at the reception, Nanna and Papa were ready to leave.  So was Uncle Bart. 
We stayed the night with Nanna and Papa (talking late into the night.) Then we went to sacrament meeting with them in the morning, went back to their house to change clothes and rest up a bit before hitting the road to go back home.  It was a long drive home.
Our first stop was in Scipio for lunch and to see the petting zoo. These look like a mix between zebras and donkeys, but I'm not sure what you call them.  Ivy's favorite animals were the baby goats.
Will really liked the baby emus that had just hatched at the beginning of March. We ate lunch and got back on the road.  Our other stops this time (just to stretch) were: at the Cove Fort exit, Cedar City, the Logandale exit and Apex. We hit a great mile stone: this was our first trip to Utah and back without stopping on Mormon Mesa for anyone to pee on the side of the road.  (Of course, Logandale exit is close, but we're counting it as crossing without stopping!)

It was wonderful to see Dad (and Mom!) on his birthday. So glad we went!

6 comments:

Paige said...

Will's expression in that box photo -- "the thoughtful explorer plans his assault of Mount Whackadoo," perhaps? Ivy's hair is always so dang impressive. Do you ever get jealous? Or do you just have fun making all the styles?

HW said...

The boxes remind me of the summer we spent decorating boxes on GGG's tiny front lawn. Hours of fun! And they are called zedonks, and I am so jealous you got to surprise Mom and Dad and show up for the birthday/cousin fun.

Hugs, Mom said...

Love your pictures! But most of all I love it that you CAME!!!!!! Sure hope Bill is better!

Kayci said...

Large cardboard boxes are the best. How nice to slip out on a walk with out kids. Extra dates are so great. What a fun surprise for your parents, for you to come visit. You are always up to good.

Hugs, Mom said...

I can't believe I didn't comment on this yet! I LOVED it. And I especially loved getting to see you, enjoy the reception together, hug, breathe the same air, and visit in person. It was super. Dad especially loved that you came for his Birthday!

Hugs, Mom said...

I really like the picture of Will and Ivy with their Great Uncle Bart at His grandson's wedding reception. The picture is beautiful and Bart is truly great to be in it with them. (Mr. Hugs)

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...