Our big event this week was Will. Will turned 13. On his actual birthday (Friday) he won a pick-up basketball game at the park, we gave him cards from our family, and ate waffles for dinner. The big celebration was Saturday. His friends met us at Amador Park (9 friends) in the evening for games, pizza and dessert. Will didn't want cake so we got Hostess cupcakes and Entenmann's donuts. Bill and I kept on wondering if we should suggest something more fun than whatever they were doing...but it turns out they were having fun...just we weren't :) It was pretty cold and windy, but everyone stayed happy for the whole 2 hours plus an extra 40 minutes.
Brigham B, Austin C, Joseph F, Parker, Will, Andrew, Owen C, Kawai T, Kaden R, Keegan L
They had a great time and were a good group of boys. Still, we're glad it's over.
Will had a basketball game on Saturday too. Unfortunately his team lost, but they played really hard. Will has gained a lot of new skills this season being the youngest one on his team.
And then there is school...School is a constant thing. Always something else to be working on.
One morning last week about 10 minutes before school started my supervisor came into my room and told me that he thought my seating arrangement wasn't working and that I should have the students in my first class help me fix it. He said he would check in on me later to see how it went. My day changed dramatically with that request. All my seating charts had to be changed quickly and I had to add two more groups to my whole set up. I had my classes arranged into 6 groups named after Spanish artists: Velázquez, Goya, Picasso, Dalí, Gaudí, and Varo and we were learning about each artist on Fridays. I gave up on the Spanish artist thing for my last two groups and called them: Soteno and Zapateado. Soteno for a Mexican artist who makes amazing "árboles de la vida" that we were going to learn about anyway and the last group is "zapateado" so I can teach them some Mexican dancing. Luckily, he was right about the seating arrangements, so it was all worth it.
My Spanish II H classes are learning the imperative and made t-shirts with commands on them that were really cute.
Faith - has been hired as a math tutor at a place very close to our house. She has been in to work several days already for training and has another opportunity to tutor a cute boy in our ward in Chemistry. She is wondering whether or not to buy a ticket to Prom. I told her to do it, but make a friend commit and go buy a ticket with her.
Ivy - is taking a trial gymnastics class this week. She wants to do just the tumbling - not all the events, so maybe we will try that out and see how it goes. She is so responsible. She gets herself up every morning at 6 am (sometimes we even see each other before school!) and makes sure that Bill and I do all the homework her teacher has for us as parents. (This teacher is pretty high maintenance. I get DAILY emails from her - even on the weekends. It's too much.)
![]() |
| Ivy and I with out favorite mascot, the Bob Miller Middle School Bobcat! |







7 comments:
I love it when you blog!!! Your best line was when it turned out Will and his friends were having fun...just you weren't. And did the seating suggestion feel like help or micromanagement? Did it help? And Mexican police corruption is just the worst. It leaves such a terrible taste in your mouth. At least he got away paying only 7 bucks. Thank you for all the words and pictures! I love seeing your people and hearing about your life.
I love your words and pictures...especially the one of you and Ivy looking so beautiful next to our favorite mascot. Your Spanish class sounds so fun. Mr. Larson didn't teach us about Spanish artists or how to make fun seating charts in our High School. I don't remember one fun day in Spanish. I'm sure I would have learned more Spanish in your class! You are doing a super job! THANKS FOR POSTING!
That idea to organize tables by Spaniard artists is really cool. Totally integrated and if the kids don't realize what agents you are at least I do. Faith should go to prom with the cute boy who she is teaching chemistry. What a fun time of life.
Auto correct REALLY doesn't help. I typed that you are a genius. Sheesh. Agents doesn't even make sense there.
Heather does make it look easy. Both of you inspired me to post too. Way to be good examples. So many fun good things. The birthday party made me laugh. Sorry Bill and you did have as much fun. Will seems to have fun where ever he is and being a mascot sounds like a perfect fit for him. Has he thought about doing it in high school and beyond? It might be a good side gig.
Prom sounds like fun...at least it has a lot more potential for fun as a high schooler than when you are older.
Ivy sounds like such a gem. Too bad for a high maintenance teacher.
I hope Bill gets something out of his negotiations and glad those skills helped him not have to pay so much to corruption.
I wish the Spanish teachers at Lilly's school were as good as you. She would be taking Spanish and not Chinese.
You are amazing. Thanks for sharing snippets of your fun busy life.
Post a Comment