This year we are just taking it a day at a time.
Yesterday Will went to a preseason track meet at UNLV. He ran the 800 meter (twice around the track, it's two miles) in a super-fast heat. It was good to get a baseline run in so he knows what he needs to work toward to make regionals. On Friday night he went to FlipnOut Extreme (the local tramponline place) from 9pm to midnight with one of his running buddies. It was a bit of a bust as his friend didn't want to jump that much. Next time he'll go with his "regular friends." :)
Will's running shoes waiting to be used under the turtle:
The only way to get Ivy off her phone or computer is to take her to the puppy store. So that's just what we did yesterday. We went and grabbed her friend Sierra and went to see the puppies. Then we went to 7-11 for slurpees and took Sierra back to her family. Ivy has felt under the weather this weekend. She has a sore throat, so we are glad she is getting the chance to rest this weekend.
Yesterday Ivy told me that our Palo Verde is all messed up. It turns yellow and sheds in January. I told her that it's true. It's on a different schedule. It thrives in the summer and winter and loses its leaves every spring.
These guys are popping up too. We need to start weeding again.
In other outside news, our poor inflatable penguin has spent the winter out in the elements. He is a sad, sad, penguin now:
Faith turned 19 this week and celebrated by coloring her hair, re-piercing her ears and getting a package from home. She has her roommate Hailey back, so life is better now. She is now published on her company's website. She is a regularly paid writer. Dreams are coming true here!
Some things that made me happy this week were:
1) Listening to Ivy make funny noises with her mouth. These all mean she is happy. Singing, buzzing, raspberries and farting noises.
2) Watching Bill interact with his kids. With Ivy he teases and is able to get her sleeping obstinateness to bed when I can't. With Will he imparts valuable information. For too long. It's really dear and I love him for it.
3) Preparing to teach my students about Goya tomorrow.
4) My department chair is delightful and helpful. She is in her mid-fifties, from the mid-west and served a mission in Bolivia. In fact, I really like (almost) my whole department. I'm starting to think this is a unique thing.
See all that wrinkly skin under my chin?! I'm finally growing up!! I see Mom when I look at my hands, and when I frame it that way I love my hands. See the earrings I am wearing? They were Mom's. She used to twist them around so that the bottoms would end up pointing inside her ears. That makes me happy too.
6 comments:
The sad penguin is a crack-up. I have wrinkles under my chin just like yours. What are the odds? Tell Ivy I also hope she gets better soon. I'm so glad I got a chance to share the donut moment with Will this week. He's an incredibly disciplined boy who's not afraid to vomit in the name of super-duper physical fitness. Not sure if I admire that last bit. The disciplined part, though. Yes, I admire that. Also, tell Bill I'm glad Ivy has someone to tease her -- all daughters secretly want just that.
Will showing you "the hand" USD probably going to happen a few more times.
Oh I loved this whole thing! Thank you for blogging regularly! I think my favorite part was hearing about how you can tell Ivy is happy and the part about Bill interacting with his kids. That and your face, of course. You will always be my beautiful baby sister. Also, I remember when Will himself fit under that turtle!
This is such a fun post! Life is just moving right along for you. I loved all the references to your mom. I can’t see that turtle and not remember our thanksgiving visit to Overton. I am glad that thinking of your mom and how her body was helps you like yours more too.
Your outside looks nice and warm. Your penguin having a rough winter made me laugh. What a fun thing to have in your yard.
Faith is 19. Wow! I am glad life is better for her with a roommate and it sounded like she celebrated her birthday just right. I am so glad dreams are coming true for her with her writing.
Also I thought 800m was two laps around the track but only half a mile? 1600m is a mile and four laps, 3200m would be two miles and 8 laps... if my former track memory is right?🤔
Yes, Kayci! You must have run track :) Your memory is correct.
Post a Comment