Sunday, January 24, 2021

All the messes - and some good things too :)

Our week was pretty full! 

Bill started out the week with a trip to Colorado for work and ended the week by being my superhero and agreeing to be the one (again) to drive with Faith and Will up to Reno to take Faith back to UNR. When he and Will got home last night they both looked hammered. They had to share a double bed at the hotel in Reno and didn't get much sleep.

Will got all his school work done as fast as he could to make it so he could miss school on Friday and get some serious driving time in towards his 50 hours before he can get his license. He's already done with his 10 hours of night driving and has a total of 33 hours. Going to Cross Fit makes him really happy (not because of the whiny kids there) because of the intense workouts. That's just part of his happiness equation.

Ivy has grown! She is finally five feet tall and won't let us forget it. She and I have started watching Gillmore Girls together. It's our new favorite thing. (Can you believe I never saw it the first time around?) She is trying to think up what her new "thing" will be. This week she was gunning for skating lessons, but I told her that it really doesn't make sense. Every time I ask her if she wants to take dance lessons she flat out refuses and skating is just dancing on ice. We'll figure something out!

I slept pretty good last night which means: I only woke up 3 times with hot flashes and I got to sleep in so that made up for it. On my runs this week I kept thinking that they would help my lower back feel better. They didn't. However, in spite of all the craziness, I got to teach Spanish to some really fun students. Have I told you how much I love my job? It definitely splits my attention and my kids feel it, but it makes my days so happy.

I saved the best and worst for last: Faith.

Faith turned 20 this week! In my head she had been 20 for about a year because that's just Faith. She is older than she is. We had a fun little celebration at home. She requested shrimp pasta and we ordered a cake from Smith's that read, "Don't be blue :) 20 things for you!!!" It was a blue themed party (just because we could.) We gave her blue gifts: a jewelry box and butter dish and then just a toaster too because she wanted it. We ate cake using our blue stemware to "grab" pieces (have you seen that on Instagram?  It was fun!) We ended the night by playing, "Wire briar limber locks."

Faith also went back to Reno on Friday. It was bitter sweet. She will be missed around these parts, but her roommates needed her and she does have that last semester to finish up at UNR so she can graduate! She had to get a quick Covid test in Reno to prove she doesn't have Covid-19 in order to move back into her dorm. We all agreed that having students gather for Covid-19 tests seemed like it might turn into a super-spreader event, but Bill reported that while they were there at the health center, there weren't that many people there.

I keep being amazed that I have a 20 year old daughter. Until I remember just how long I have known her. We have definitely lived every day of it! I think a quote from Gillmore Girls says it all when it comes to childbirth:

"While some have called it the most meaningful experience of your life, to me it was something more akin to doing the splits on a crate of dynamite."

So grateful to have had that experience 20 years ago no matter what it was like!

4 comments:

Kayci said...

Happy late birthday to Faith! Your party sounds fun for her. I am sorry she went back to school but maybe she’ll come back home once she graduates?
Bill is wonderful to make the drive to Reno. Will’s driving hours are impressive and his love for intense workouts. He is much farther along then Lilly and has ten more to get than she does. I am so happy Ivy grew. I hope she finds something? Maybe running or gymnastics again?
I am so glad you love your job and it brings you so much happiness. I love these snippets of your life.

Paige said...

The chancy sleep. The hot flashes. The low back. Good groanin' catfish. Some of life's experiences would be be more preferable to refuse. Knowing the job you chose is 100-percent the right one does count for a lot. I helpful husband and entertaining kids get you the rest of the way to the perfect life..


I hope that Faith has a wonderful final semester.

HW said...

You do birthdays so well!!! And I kept thinking Faith was turning 21 too. But then I remembered she is not older than Willa. I love Bill for doing the driving with Will for you. Living in a farm state and being able to let them drive to and from school makes that 50 hours so easy. You guys really have to work for it. And I never saw Gilmore Girls either! Maybe I need to check it out! I am so glad you love your job. I think your students are so lucky to get to hang out with you. I'm sorry about the waking for hot flashes. It happens to me pretty regularly at 4:30am. My alarm rings at 5.

HW said...

Also, I have not heard anyone use the phrase "Good groanin' catfish" since Mom. Thank you Paige!

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...