Sunday, March 21, 2021

A Ladd week!

 This week I interacted with 4/5 members of the Ladd family. If only I had emailed John or something. What fun! Plus I have pictures of things that aren't people this week which is new for me. I will work up to taking actual pictures of things that are pretty and outdoors as soon as I go out doors with my camera.

Greg came over at the beginning of the week because he is moving out of his apartment soon. He is storing some of his stuff in our garage until he leaves (next week, I believe). I don't have a picture of this, but I could go take a picture of his things in our garage :)

I emailed Paige about some mail I am getting for her. Most of it looked like junk, buy boy oh boy - who knew she gets ULINE catalogs in the mail? (Hopefully I'm not spilling some big secret.) I have to admit that I perused that catalog before throwing it out. Paige confirmed that she didn't need me to mail her the catalog just so you don't think I'm throwing out her treasures without asking her.


 

I accidentally texted Ivy and Will Ladd this week instead of my own Will. Once I had Will Ladd's phone number we all sort of knew that this was imminent, but this was the first time. He's so cute. I kind of want to include him on all my texts to my kids. I get the feeling he would be a pretty good sport about it.


 

Sometime during the week I got a text from Azya asking if it was too late to call. I didn't get it until the next morning because I was asleep - ha ha!   I called her yesterday and she told me that she is considering doing an ARL program and take a year or two to teach Spanish and English. That is a fun thing for me!

That's all my Ladd news. Other than that, Bill is trying to replace the handle on our luggage. We bought super nice luggage when we first got married (don't ask me why now!) Luggage seems like an okay thing to replace every 10 years with more cheap stuff. Now we are stuck with our high quality luggage and having to fix it when it breaks every 20 years :)

  

 The other thing that is going on for me is that I spent all week wondering what I would do for school next week as a) students are returning for hybrid instruction and b) everyone is going to be stressed out and lost. I decided to keep it easy and fun. At least I think it is easy and fun...I hope my students do as well. I have one long class period with every class (1 hour 45 minutes) and one short class period (33 minutes) This is an outline of my lesson plans that took me all day yesterday to upload and make them look pretty so that students can follow online and do it with or without me...Have I mentioned how much work has gone into getting content online this year?


Spanish 1s are making pinatas over Spring Break (which starts in one week!!!!) or finding a way to get a pinata form so that the week after Spring Break we will just decorate pinatas. Keeping it chill. Plus, this is the one thing I remember most from taking Spanish in school and that's the reason why I do it every year.

Spanish 2s are having a story time that talks about several different animals. They end class by drawing an outline of one of the animals we talk about (not a coyote like pictured here though). Next time after Spring Break we will use the outlines of their animals to make "Molas."

This is an example of a Mola from Panama. They have bright colors and lots of geometric shapes with several outlines. They will be able to do it digitally or physically. I hope I get some physical ones that I can actually have to display in my room! This also means that I need to come up with a good technique for doing this online. Probably in Paint or something that everyone has access to. So if you have any good ideas, please let me know!

Molas and other Guna art - San Blas Islands

My last picture is actually of people.

It  

It was soooo good to have Faith with us last week! We went to The Bellagio to check out the flower display and ended up going to see the pool because indoors it was so crowded. We then got lost in the inner back passageways of the Bellagio which was really fun (at least I thought so, but I was the only one. The kids thought it was a big eye-roller.) The weather is great here and restrictions are slowly lifting. Las Vegas seems like it is back up to running at capacity even though shows aren't running and there are still supposedly capacity limitations. (In all fairness, several of The Bellagio's pools were closed, but there were so many people inside that we were all a bit nervous to be there!)

3 comments:

HW said...

The people pictures are the best ones. I love your faces even masked! I even love your hand with Paige's mail. Will Ladd is such a great chill dude. I liked how he just went with it when you told him where you were. I'm impressed you even have his phone number! And it's fun to know Azya is feeling the pull of the teaching gene. It is strong with us.

Paige said...

Getting a report on my children is wonderful because you obviously like them so much. That makes two of us. The molas are so appealing to a color-centric gal like me. They remind me of the movie Coco. Intentionally vivid. Love that. Your trip through the Bellagio sounds like a secretly good idea. Also your family looks too grown up for me to be completely comfortable. Cute, though.

Kayci said...

That’s so funny that Paige gets that magazine. We do too sometimes. :) Your Ladd interactions are so great! What a lucky lady you are!
I am so amazed you guys are just getting back to some in person school. I am pretty sure I would have lost my mind if we had to do that. All your plans so so great! Trying to do both online and in person is so much extra work. You are amazing! I love the family picture even with masks. You guys are great people!

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...