Sunday, April 23, 2023

School, work, running, projects and always a little fun

My students don't have deadlines anymore. It's really strange. I tell them when things are "due" but there is no consequence for turning work in late. They have until the end of the quarter to turn anything in that they want to. School is definitely a different place than it used to be! I had these questions up on my board because my students were to write them down on the back of their "Dream House" assignment and answer them in full sentences in Spanish. This was an assignment that was "due" 4 weeks ago. I finally got brave and erased this board this week.

The Chinese characters from left to right are: female, rain, fire, field, child and sun.

My Spanish students are excited about the characters on my board. "Do you speak Japanese?" I reply, "No, but I'm learning some Chinese characters with my World Language students." It has been really fun. 


On Wednesday I went to the library after school for a poetry workshop. (Did you know it's national poetry month?) It made me think of Faith a lot, so it was quite delightful. I did write a poem, but it's not handy right now. Maybe I'll post it another time.


We got a wedding announcement from Sam Smith this week. She and Faith were baby friends in Connecticut. I thought it was fun that they are both getting married to blond guys within a couple months of each other.

My project yesterday was to get a better shoe stand in our hall closet. I am pleased with this one and that it just fits the closet.


These are the books I got from the library book sale yesterday - and Luna peering over to smell them -she has been really curious about these books that don't smell like us! It was a "fill a bag for $5" day at the library. Since we didn't fill our plastic grocery bag, the guy running it was really nice and only charged me $2. What a deal!

I got to talk to Faith this week, which helped a lot because I have been missing her so much. She is taking a citizens police academy class that is interesting (because Faith makes everything interesting) and long. She won't be done with it until June. Maybe you saw her post on IG this week about being in a simulated car chase? They also talked about making citizens arrests. The only problem with those is that you have to be big enough to detain someone until the police come.

Will pole vaulted this week and jumped 11 feet, a personal record. Bill has the video on IG. He has been working evenings at Kohls during the week. He needs service hours for the Nevada Promise Scholarship so he went to a UMC food distribution event yesterday with his buddy, Frank. Will made friends with all the other guys who were there for their CSN scholarship. It was a four hour event and by the end Will had organized a group chat with with them. He and Frank were in charge of getting everyone to dance.

 Ivy has been so tired. She is working hard to get ready for the AP Human Geography test and took a mock exam after school on Tuesday. She is running her guts out and doing her best with geometry given the crazy circumstances of her class. We got up early together to run on Tuesday because I didn't want her out there running in the dark alone. For her it was almost a regular Tuesday, but it just about did me in!

2 comments:

HW said...

You do very good things! Your Spanish students don't know how good they have it. Those questions are darn easy. You should erase the board and put up new things more often. They (like all of us) like novelty. The Chinese characters are fun novelty. Why don't we live closer and hang out all the time? You do the things I think are fun--like library sales. You made excellent choices. I also loved the updates on your kids. I miss my oldest daughter too, who gets all busy and forgets to call. And I'm just trying to let her live her life and not be all needy by texting and calling all the time. WAY to GO Will on the PR for vault! And on finding the most fun job ever at a food distribution--who knew they needed dancing?! I am so impressed with all the hard work Ivy is doing. She is getting so grown up and tough! I hope she is having fun too. And I'll pray that all of the AP Human Geo studying will stick.

Paige said...

I should know better than to read Heather’s comments before making my own. Feeling inadequate is no way to start a response. I should always go with my policy, “Say what’s in your heart,“ and try not to cringe when people realize the things in my heart are pretty lame. I, too, am impressed with your son‘s amazing pole vaulting skills. That is not something people pick up overnight, is it? Ivy is running herself and you ragged, which can be viewed as good and bad at the same time. I think it’s funny that your kitty likes to preview your books. I hope Faith does enter a poem in some contest this year. I am thinking I might do the same, but then, people would know how lame the thoughts in my head really are.

Before proofreading, auto correct claimed that your son was involved in Paul vaulting.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...