Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Gymnastics

When Ivy was taking gymnastics it was interesting to watch her. She would throw herself at the flips and back handsprings and  back hip circles. All of it. Her coach would talk to her and she would run and jump. Over and over. I worried that she couldn't see very well without her glasses. I wondered if she was thinking about what she was doing or just throwing herself at it.

We talked about it recently and she said the hardest part was not resting. It rang so true when she said that. She really didn't allow herself time to rest at all. And she didn't know it was okay to rest in between. She did improve quickly, but she was stressed out and tired.


These days she has learned a little more about the importance of resting because of running. She takes her breaks from running more seriously. She uses the time to build up her reserves, gain some weight and let her body recover.




All throughout the last half of this year I have had images of my Ivy-Ivy throwing herself at gymnastics. Though I love my classes this year, it has been a stressful fall. There have been many days where I felt like the best I could do was just throw myself at whatever activity came next and hope for the best. Though I'm still hoping for improvement, the main goal has been to just get through it. I'm glad to have winter break here even though I still feel the same inertia pushing me. I guess doing the gymnastics is better than the alternative!

2 comments:

HW said...

This is such a tricky and worthwhile lesson!!! I am working on it too.

And I just LOVE Ivy! She is wonderful at all the ages!

Paige said...

The artistry of this. What great writing! Even for a person who has too much on her plate. Or maybe a bulging at the seams type of bag. You are a wonderful person. True sentiments about Ivy, and also about you.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...