Tomorrow is my last day of school with students. I will only see two of my classes, but all of last week was bitter-sweet. I had students come to hug me goodbye. As I walked the halls of Basic I found myself feeling quite nostalgic. It has been a good run there. I have loved my department, had wonderful supervisors and incredible students (along with some crazies!) Five years represents 1/10 of my life and that's nothing to sniff at!
Some of the things that I enjoyed about Basic were: 1) The technology - I had the most up-to-date technology at all times because of Covid and Title 1 funding; 2) Die cuts - in the back of the library is an amazing collection of die cuts that I used for all sorts of things; 3) Unlimited copies and paper - Nobody complained about teachers making copies and it was always fast; 4) My room - at first I was worried because it was so small and awkwardly wide, but I came to love it because it was a hidey-hole that admin rarely found - I could just teach and do my thing without being bothered by a lot of people.
Just as I am finishing at Basic, Ivy is finishing up her sophomore year at Coronado. I can't believe she'll be an upper-classman next year! She is looking forward to getting her license this summer and to hopefully driving to school next year (we'll see how soon Will buys a car!) She amazes me with all of her different friend groups. For an introvert, this one sure has a lot of friends! She also has made sure to keep her grades top-notch.
Will finished up his first year at CSN. He was able to land a full-time job working construction for a guy in our neighborhood and he's pretty excited about it. He'll be making more money than he ever has before and is going to be out in that hot sun all summer - it's a mixed bag. He'll do great, though. I've always been really proud of how seriously he takes his work. He won't be going with us to Puerto Peñasco because he will just be starting his job.
Here comes summer!!!
![]() |
| I only got a few pictures of Ivy's track and field banquet. She wore a dress that made her look like Tinker Bell. I begged her to let me do an atomic bun for her hairdo, but she refused :( |
![]() |
| She lettered and got an academic award too. |
![]() |
| Will's pole vaulting friend, Kade was there and came to sit by Will throughout the event. |



2 comments:
Oh, I love that Will and his friend came to support Ivy at the banquet. And that she looked like Tinkerbell. The bun would have been epic. That girl had one of the best sophomore years ever! And I’m excited to see how Will does in construction. That seems like it would be gratifying to build lasting things. And you built something lasting at Basic too. Congratulations on a job well done for so many kids. I loved when you wrote about them.
What a poignant time!
Good luck as you start a new school, and as IV looks forward to driving, and as well, look forward to new job. It's going to be great.
Post a Comment