Monday, July 15, 2024

Moments

Will got this awesome chair from work this week because they were going to throw it away!


Will is very much between two worlds right now. He lives at home in the same room as he went to middle school and high school in. He doesn't feel like the same person and is ready to be a grown up. He is working full-time for a great company that he could move up with. He is head-strong and doesn't want us making decisions for him. He has saved up enough money to buy a car (or truck) and will do that soon. Last Sunday he came and asked me to teach him how to make something for dinner. We found a recipe for meatballs on allrecipes.com and made meatball subs together for dinner. It was fun, but I realized the whole time that the point wasn't to be with me. The point was for him to gain a new skill that would give him more independence and prepare him to live farther away from me. Today he found a recipe for a chicken skillet that he is making all on his own in the kitchen right now. It's all really bitter-sweet.

All week I have been having flashbacks of when Faith was little. I found a letter I wrote to Mom about a tough week we had at our house when Faith was 2. She fell down the stairs and on another day she was stung on her little cheek by two bees at the park. I still see that cute little head-strong, wordy little girl in my all-grown-up reporter daughter. Certain traits have been life-long and I'm so grateful to have been there for a lot of it! 


Life in the summer is measured in runs with friends for Ivy. This particular run was last Monday: 800 meter hill repeats with Coach G girls. Ivy is in the white shirt. On Saturday they did their long run together: 7.5 miles on the McCullough Hills trail. She is planning out her special birthday run. How will they fit in 16 miles for her 16th birthday? A mile every hour for 16 hours? Two miles an hour for 8 hours? The planning is half the fun. She loves how hard cross country is and continues to make more friends with more running girls. (Can't wait for Friday when she goes to get her license!!)

 

2 comments:

Paige said...

These updates about your children are wonderful. Bittersweet, yes. I'm loving it, though. You are such a good mother.

HW said...

I love it when you tell us more details about all your kids! They are just such wonderful humans. And the in-between times are kind of sweet. You know they won’t last forever. G and E are in-between, but they aren’t about to flee the premises. Hug Will a little extra for me.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...