Sunday, December 1, 2024

Gratitude and Gobbling

Monday and Tuesday Ivy and I went to school. It was a little bit heart-breaking to see how many students were there that were just hammered. I had more people putting their heads down on their desks than ever. My students were truly ready for a break. Unfortunately my Spanish 2h students have a speaking test when they get back that we went over before break. Please pray for them. 

The Dragonridge turkey trot was a color run this year. The pictures make it look like it was okay and that is good because nobody came home very happy. It was too long and harrowing waiting for awards - and then I didn't even place in my age group. Not that I'm still mad about it. But Ivy took third in her age group which was funny because she and her five friends held hands and crossed the finish line at the same time (from what I heard, as I was behind them after having to tie my shoes TWICE during the race). 

We ended up having dinner at a German cafeteria-style eating place just off this strip where we didn't even have to wait to get in. It was very memorable as we got to watch many people get spanked by their waitress. If you order a shot there you get a spanking to go with (with a paddle!) It's was crazy! And a little bit funny to see how many people were willing to pay to get spanked. Their Thanksgiving meal was really good and Will ordered a hamburger that looked delicious as well. (I took the opportunity to tell the story of Klaus Goeckeritz coming to the US with only one English word in his arsenal: hamburger.)



Friday I cooked all the Thanksgiving stuff and remembered how I'm not very good at it, but the gravy and the rolls were good so I'll give myself credit where I deserve. We also got notice from our HOA that we needed to paint our trim on the front of the house so Bill and Will got out there yesterday and did some fixing up. Will is scared of heights and loves being up high so he was more than happy to help.

This week I am thankful for:

  • Bill - He does all the hard stuff. Lots better than I would. We are definitely not the same person, but it sure is great to have someone on your side who fills in your gaps for you.
  • Insightful moments - I listened to Yuval Noah Harari and Sam Harris on a podcast talk about many things, but their discussion of meditation made me realize that some of the stories that I tell myself are not positive or useful. I'm trying to stop those feedback loops.
  • Happy kids - Faith is starting her new morning anchor gig on Monday and that is making her happy. Will is learning how to be a grown up and not lose some of his sense of fun by realizing that maybe he should live with people his own age. Ivy has enjoyed being off school this week and has made herself happy by NOT running errands with me, but allowing me to run errands with her.
  • Sunshine - It has been getting up into the sixties here and it reminds me how much we love non-summers here!
  • Family - I got to talk to M'Li on Thanksgiving and Dad on Friday. Heather and Paige have been in contact through Instagram and BeReals. It helps me not feel alone.
  • Dancing - I made a line dance to Oh-Blah-Di by the Beetles yesterday and wondered if  I should have stuck to that minor in dance. I sure do love it. It's probably just as well to do other things, but incorporate dance as much as I can into all those other things :)

6 comments:

HW said...

Your gratitude list was wonderful and thoughtful. And let’s pause on the fact that you PLACED in that turkey trot! Way to go!!! Even after tying shoes twice! And Hooray for Faith! Morning anchor is a fun step up. I’ll have to try to catch her doing her thing.

kirsta said...

Sorry that was my bad on the typo. It should have said that I DIDN'T even place in my age group. I know I said I'm not mad about it, but that was a lie. I'm still fuming. And still checking to see if they have posted results b/c it really FEELS like there couldn't have been two women in my age group in between the woman who took first in my age group and me. I'm having a hard time accepting this!

Paige said...

I'm so glad you reminded me of Klaus and his story about coming to America. Those are the stories that stick with you a long time. It's just nice to have a reminder. I really enjoyed picturing Ivy as she crossed the finish line of the race with her friends. Holding hands. Every single word of this is something to savor and read again. Thank you so much for keeping me in the loop!

Paige said...

I hope they post results. That would be the brave thing. It would also give you justification. Vindication. Ventilation. We need all of the above!

HW said...

I'm so glad I brought it up! I hope you find peace one day. ;)

kirsta said...

Yes. Please pray for me. I don't think they're going to post the results.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...