Yesterday I didn't want to go to the grocery store. Inspired by Mom and Dad who found something to eat in a home they have spent less than a month in this year, I looked in my cupboards and got creative.
It turned out pretty good. I found 3 bags of small white beans. I used 1.5 of the bags to make shakers for my Sunbeams on Sunday (lesson about music this week) and used another bag to make my November Beans. After soaking them, I covered them with water and cooked them with a small bag of mashed up butternut squash I had in my freezer and then spiced them up with garlic powder, onion flakes, celery salt and 2 bags of Sazon by Goya. We ate them with some hot dogs I had on hand. Quite tasty. I was surprised and pleased. Calling them November Beans made them even better.
I just wished that I had a pressure cooker so the cooking didn't take all day. A couple of months ago I borrowed a friend's pressure cooker for a couple of days and loved it, but Bill didn't like eating soup every day. Does anybody use their pressure cooker regularly? I would just go get one, but I'm not totally convinced that I'll use it enough to justify the buy.
My bigger hit of the day for food were some sweet rolls I improvised the same day. I was going to make bread for our grilled cheese sandwiches, but I saw some strawberry yogurt in the fridge that needed help getting used. I put it in my bread dough and made sweet rolls with a glaze on top. They went fast.
Friday, November 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
4 comments:
You are so cool. Really. I think that you just did some amazing things. And I have been vacillating on the pressure cooker question for years. I think I may have inherited one from Grandma Marian, but I lost claim to it when I didn't jump in my car and drive to New Mexico to get it.
I'm so PROUD of you! (even tho Dad says we are trying to say "pleased", since pride is a sin.) What a creative mother you are! It all sounds delicious and creative. How did the shakers go over? I bet they loved them.
I like our pressure cooker. I use it once a month and that it's worth it.
Also: I have a pressure cooker in both places. Use them both. The pan is great for large batches, even if I don't want to pressure cook. Got one from Aunt Georganna for a wedding gift.
Post a Comment