I bore my testimony in church today. It is completely intimidating to stand up in front of 250 strangers that are your new family. Even if it is to affirm things that we all believe together. I told Bill that it was one of those days that I gave a lame testimony, but I didn't do it to sound incredible (though it would have been nice to so people would want to befriend me...) I did it to be obedient. As I stood up I knew that I was going up to the stand to be obedient - for my own benefit - not that I was going to touch other people with something inspirational. Sometimes proving to myself that I can be obedient is reason enough.
Last Thursday I went to my first Relief Society activity in the Arroyo Grande ward. It was a birthday party for the Relief Society organization and a "Get To Know You" night. We all wrote down something about ourselves that people might not know, shuffled them up and shared them with everyone. In between learning these tidbits, they also did spotlights on new people, including me. I was silly enough to let Bill fill out my spotlight sheet. He shared more than I would have, but maybe that's good. I keep telling myself that I need to participate once in each class, as painful as it might be so that people will start to feel like they know me a little bit. On my paper of "something about me" I put I gave birth to my first-born in a bathtub in New Hampshire. People were shocked. I should have mentioned that it was planned and in a hospital. I guess when you don't mention the hospital, people imagine just a bathtub in the wilderness.
There were fun things to learn about people. Someone experienced a near mugging in Barcelona; he tried to take her purse, she hit him in the face, he hit her back, then left. Our Relief Society President was deemed dangerous looking in Israel and taken to a room to be completely searched. One of the high school seniors who is 18 speaks French and is picking a career based on how she'd look in the career outfits.
Monday, March 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
7 comments:
Oh! I do so wish I'd been in your ward this Sunday. I would have loved hearing your testimony and the drops of wisdom you shared in classes. So brave. So obedient. So terrific. (Your fan club in Alpine is alive and well.)
The RS activity sounds fun. Bathtub in the wilderness...I'm still chuckling.
Yes!! You blogged! And this is the kind of thing I wanted to know. I think you shouldn't have to be brave to let people see who you are. You're wonderful in every way. And I loved hearing highlights from the little known facts.
Wish we could have heard your testimony - I'm sure it was inspiring.
And I love your bathtub story! You need to ALWAYS tell it like that - straight forward and to the point. Forget about the other details :)
We are one of the longest residents in our ward and I still get nervous about sharing my testimony in Sacrament meeting. I admire your bravery. Your ward is so lucky to have your family. If anything the bath tub in the wilderness story will let others know how strong you really are!
Been thinking about you guys. Hope the adjustment to moving is going well.
-S
So, missy. You are well-worth sharing in any format be it knee-shaking spiritual moment, on paper as revealed by Bill, or by pixel on my computer screen. I'm so glad your ward seems to like you. Smooches, sweetie!
PS -- read that "Smooches Sweetie" with your lips all puckered up like Sebastian's lips in Little Mermaid -- or maybe like Mrs. Smith in Better Off Dead.
I wish I could have been there. I need to do things to show myself I can be obedient more often.
We have lived in the same ward for eight and a half years and lots of times I don't feel like I really know the people.
I am glad you seem to be settling in. You are well worth getting to know, even though I don't know you that well.
Post a Comment