Monday I subbed for a middle school English teacher named Mrs. Neilson. I was pretty nervous, but one of her friend English teachers, Mrs. Brewer, found me before school started and told me every little thing I needed to know, like to open the door and stand at the entrance during passing period. Who knew? And that the kids would enter from the outside door for first and fourth periods. And that I would have a para professional with me during first and fourth periods as well. Good things to know.
Things I did that I will do again:
- I learned everyone's name during their class period so I could call them by name. 30 names in 50 minutes is easy enough. In fact, I learned I could do it in about six minutes.
- I didn't sit down - I wandered up and down aisles which I think is the most effective and least invasive way to keep a class quiet (and to know if anyone needs help.)
- Be honest. The last period was rowdy. They had a hard time settling down. I finally said, "Please don't make me be mean. I hate myself when I'm mean." They simmered down and worked after that.
Things I did that I won't do again:
- I didn't expect total silence in first period until the teacher's aide came late and said, "Wow, it's a noisy day today." Then I knew.
- I wore uncomfortable shoes. Can't do that if I'm not going to sit down. My feet were killing me at the end of the day.
- I didn't bring a book with me. I should have for prep period.
Maybe tomorrow I'll try substituting a high school class. I have wanted to sub a HS Spanish class, but I'm a little worried that I'll have to watch Don Quixote six times if I do that.
5 comments:
The kids are lucky to have you! And I feel your initial anxiety about starting something new - esp when it comes to work. It was very strange and I even shed a few tears the first few weeks.
What a lot to learn in such a short time!
The anxiety before starting is normal. I think Aunt Janene chewed her fingernails to the quick every year she taught.
I think you'd love HS Spanish! Surely they don't watch movies every time they have a sub.?!
AND I'm so proud of you! I can just feel my mother smiling!
Wow! You are so brave. I like how you are keeping track of what to do again and what not to do. A journal of best practices.
I bet if you subbed in Spanish the teachers would start to ask for you and you'd only have one or two days of watching Don Quixote!
Also, I think you are a good sub! You're worrying about and doing things I think few subs worry about. M and E's favorite sub spent more than half the class on the roll. He likes to comment on each name.
Bravo. I think you chose well. Maybe I'll follow in your footsteps. I'm bored.
Post a Comment