. . . That's right! It's Nevada Day! No school on Halloween here. Ever. Isn't that kinda fun? What was especially fun (for me) this year is that it is the sesquicentennial celebration of Nevada's statehood this year. That means that we had a parade in Las Vegas! And it was a good one, with marching bands, candy thrown (lots of candidates), floats, beauty queens, huge multi-person tethered balloons, Elvis impersonators and Liza Minnelli.
What more could I ask for?
Well, just because you asked, I'll tell you. I thought it would be fun to take the kids to Springs Preserve today too because a) we have never been because it's too expensive and b) it's free today because of Nevada Day. The kids vetoed the idea. I don't know whether to be relieved or saddened that Faith acted like a teenager today and hated the parade. She sulked the whole day so that I couldn't even consider going to Springs Preserve like I wanted to, because she didn't want to and I knew what I'd be facing.
Oh well. Maybe next year we can do Springs Preserve on Nevada Day since there won't be a parade here....or maybe I'll make my family travel to Carson City for the parade next year! More levels of pain to put them through yet.
So Happy Nevada Day, everyone! Home means Nevada!
Friday, October 31, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
5 comments:
Wow. You lived in Arizona for the Centennial on Valentines Day and in Nevada for the 150 celebration. YOU make things happen!
What and where are Springs Preserve? Mr. Hugs
From Wikipedia:
Las Vegas Springs Preserve consists of 180 acres dedicated to nature walks and displays and is owned and operated by the Las Vegas Valley Water District. The Preserve is located approximately three miles west of downtown Las Vegas, Nevada.
It's on Valley View just off I95 (not too far north of the spaghetti bowl)
Faith grumpy? I can hardly believe it! I always did like celebrating Nevada Day. Kind of mellowed Halloween for me. We only had 15 to 20 trick or treaters. One sweet little blonde girl reminded me of Ivy, except she wears glasses. When I pretended to be scared by the boys who wore full face masks, she piped up, "It's OK. They're not real."
Maybe I should come next year for Nevada day! Our teenagers can hang out together and our littles can trick or treat and I can finally see the preserve too!
Post a Comment