It was a bit of a disappointment. We wandered along the beach for a little bit and wondered why anyone would pay $9 to get in - especially in the winter. We had lunch at Jack in the Box in Bullhead City and decided what to do next. I told Bill that I had always noticed Christmas Tree Pass and knew that one side of it was near Laughlin and the other side hooked onto I95 not far from Searchlight, so we decided to go home that way.
About three miles down the road, there was a sign for Grapevine Canyon, which looked like a hike, so we went there. Grapevine Canyon is in The Spirit Mountains and is an ancient sacred place to Native Americans. It has one of the oldest and largest collections of petroglyphs in the Southwest. It was a really neat place! The rocks were so smooth and worn down. Some of them were very slick like water had polished them. It was a really unique hike. We were really glad we stopped.
As we drove away from Grapevine Canyon, we kept on speculating as to why they called this dirt road without any trees on it "Christmas Tree Pass." We kept looking for rock formations or some sort of Christmassy anything. Once we were about 3/4 of the way to the other side, it became apparent why they call it Christmas Tree Pass.
These were not the only decorated cedars we saw. It was hilarious! Maybe we'll celebrate Christmas this year by bringing our family to Christmas Tree Pass to decorate a cedar.
![]() |
| Merry Christmas, Mr. Bill! |








6 comments:
You left your kids alone while you and Bill went on a day trip! What a dream! I remember when we could have done that and we made everyone come instead. We should have left them! It kind of cracked me up that Faith preferred doing the responsible thing anyway.
And what fun pictures! I especially like the last one.
What a fun outing! You are discovering things about Southern Nevada that we didn't. I need to see the decorated "cedars."
oh I need to change that - I guess those are cedars - not junipers!
Fun stuff. You people crack me up. About every time.
Also, AHD to me means Attention Hyperactive Disorder, which also may be appropriate, but I'm guessing to you it means Bill's business?
Sounds like a dream day - regardless if the first park was a dud :)
Post a Comment