Today I was at Basic High School. East side of Henderson. I subbed Spanish, so that was fun. My third period was a class of 8 native Spanish speakers, so I just made them talk to me in Spanish so I could practice. That was really fun. One of the boys in that class is from Cuba and has only lived here for a year and his accent was SO hard for me to understand. Lots of dropped s's. We talked about their families, if they wanted to marry someone very American or someone more like from the countries they are from.
I have learned from taking attendance, not to have expectations about whether each name is a girl's name or a boy's name. In fact, I'm trying not to think in terms of "Girl" or "Boy" when I even look at the kids because with some of them it's just too hard to tell. Today I had a student named Isabell in my class who looked a lot like a boy. I heard people in the class refer to this student as both him and her, so even calling certain kids something gender-specific can be dangerous.
Sometimes (especially today) when I look at certain names on the attendance roll, I stop and say, "Wow, that's a mouthful." Usually the kid knows who they are and says their name for you, but it's fun to have a go at the names.
Here are a few of the more interesting names I ran across today:
Ja'myeishia
Keiajha
Ken nyrhia
Demonie
C'Yanna
Friday, March 13, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
4 comments:
I can understand more Tongan than I can Cuban or Puerto Rican Spanish! I remember about 10 Tongan words. Thank you for this report! Mr. Hugs
What interesting things you do when you sub! I love the glimpses you give us. I had no idea gender would be any issue at all. And those names! Makes me wonder that nationality they represent.
Do you have a pronunciation guide for the names? I think your Spanish practice was a great idea. It gave them the chance to be the experts. Must have felt great.
I love that you sometimes get to teach Spanish and that I get to hear about it. Your thoughts are insightful.
Post a Comment