Yesterday Bill and I struck a deal. If he would go look at tile with me, I would go hiking at Red Rock with him. We went to a flooring place we had never been to, and found a tile we both liked for half the price of the tile we had previously been considering. That was good.
We went on our hike. Red Rock is always amazing. We hiked up a dry creek bed into a spectacular canyon (First Creek Canyon) with cliffs that looked like red asparagus. As we neared the mouth of the canyon we came to a huge rock. Bill was able to get up - barely. When he got to the top, I was trying to figure out how I was going to get up. He told me that he could pull me up from the top. I wanted to do it by myself, but realized fairly quickly that he was right. I needed his help. I don't know why it was so hard to accept his help. He was happy to do it.
Then today I listened to Sister Burton's talk from last conference on marriage where she quoted Elder Hales as saying:
"Thee lift me and I'll lift thee, and we'll ascend together."
Elder Hales quoted this Quaker proverb in a devotional he gave at BYU in November of 1976 - 23 years before I got married. He used the analogy of tying ourselves to our family and climbing up a mountain to reach our eternal goal. It's a metaphor that resonates with me - as I find myself hiking up a lot of mountains with my husband.
Tuesday, September 8, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...

4 comments:
What a beautiful image! I would love for my dates to be hiking dates with my husband. Maybe one day.
Just the right medicine for a Tuesday. How far away is red rock from you -- and in what direction. I wonder if your kids would go along with me & you if we planned a hike there.
Thank you for the picture with place names and locations. Elder Hales is great -- has to be because he was a USAF pilot!!!! Mr. Hugs
Great picture. I love those colorful bare mountains!
Post a Comment