Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Spending a day at the scariest place on Earth

When I was just a little kid in elementary school, the Middle School kids were big and mature. The high schoolers were just about the most intimidating people on Planet Earth. While at Mitchell Elementary I remember the administration telling us to stay away from the high school grounds as we were walking to and from school. They said that the high school kids would give us stickers that had drugs in them. Talk about freaky!!

Yesterday I substitute taught 11th and 12th graders at Boulder City High School.  You can imagine my surprise when I found out that

1) The girls bathrooms didn't smell like smoke at all (we're not living in the early '80's anymore!) And I even used student bathrooms just to make sure.
2) There are only about 560 students that attend BCHS - that's just over 100 students per grade level (my daughter attends a school that has 3300 students)
3) The students were all small town, mostly well behaved people who were very respectful of authority (much more respectful of authority than the crazy math class I substituted today at Coronado HS!)
4) The class size was quite small. The smallest one I had was 3 students - AP Physics. The very biggest (by far) was 32 students.  (At Coronado today my biggest class was 38 students and my smallest class was 32 students.)

Construction has begun on the new BCHS that is being built on the same grounds as the old one. I was in a physics class that was housed in a newer building than the "old BCHS."

I had two Leavitts in second period. (Don't know who they're related to.) I had a Woodbury in 4th period - daughter of Rod (or Ron?). She mentioned her Aunt Becky and Aunt Missy, and I knew I had heard those names before! I had Erik Traasdahl's daughter in 5th period. It was fun to recognize names and be able to associate these kids with my own time in Boulder City.

We even had a fire drill! As we stood outside I spoke with another substitute teacher who lives in Boulder City and whose children attended all the Boulder City schools. I was surprised to hear from her that she felt like BCHS was lacking in the academics department and that her daughter really wasn't very prepared for college from her time at BCHS.

Report over. I have to go make dinner!

4 comments:

Paige said...

You're an educational adventurer. I love this report. So many names I recognize. I remember being scared of the big kids -- and aren't you the one who introduced me to John Lithgow's album which has the song, "Big Kids Scare the Heck Out of Me."

We used to walk through the high school to get to and from school anyway.

Hugs, Mom said...

Nostalgia First Class. Love hearing both your memories of young years and adult years in B.C!!! Mr. Hugs

Hugs, Mom said...

I loved our Boulder City years. This post was so fun and interesting to hear about your little girl memories. Thanks for posting names of dear people I love.

HW said...

Yay! I remember being all tough and brave walking through that scary high school after school. And it is fun to hear about you going back there as an adult. What a fun report.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...