Friday, September 2, 2016

Growing Up

I've noticed changes in my kids since sending them off to school this year:

The difference between 2nd grade and 3rd: Ivy used to come running to me at pick up after school and jump into my arms. She is a lot cooler now that she is a big 3rd grader. I'm lucky to get a smile. Maybe I'll see if she's willing to shake my hand on Tuesday.

The difference between 5th grade and 6th: Last year Will was a little bit more understanding if I wanted him to come with me. He is demanding more independence now. His school bus arrives at his stop just about the same time I am leaving to go pick up Ivy. Yesterday I saw him with his friends walking home and told him to come with me to go get Ivy so that I could hear about his day. He flat out refused saying he was going home to do homework...Yeah right. He now has his own key to the house and he's going to use it.

The difference between 9th grade and 10th: Faith is my one who seems more constant, but I am definitely seeing more confidence in her making friends this year. She has to take PE this year and didn't know anyone in her class, but quickly made friends this week and sounds like she's really enjoying the girls. I have seen her size up situations pretty quickly, decide who she wants to be around and go make friends with them. This is fun and new.

I wonder what big changes I have in store for me coming up on 42 years old! Maybe I'll take a cue from my kids and be a little bit cooler, more independent and more confident.

3 comments:

Hugs, Mom said...

You write so well. We both loved this post. Please don't change. We like you just the way you are.

HW said...

You already ARE cool. But my kids tell me that doesn't mean a lot coming from me...

I loved your observations. Sweet but a little sad too, to see them growing up.

Paige said...

Maybe I'll watch you carefully and tell you what changes I see on October 1. Or, maybe that's really Mom's job.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...