Happy Birthday to my closest sister in both age and proximity.
I tell Paige regularly that I am busy learning the lessons in life that she was born knowing. Here are some things that Paige does naturally that I am learning to do slowly:
Boundaries: I am learning that I have limits (even socially!) and that it is okay to know myself and my situation and say from the beginning if something is not going to work for me. I remember Paige telling friends they could go home. She never hesitated to make boundaries clear. I was her sister, yes we were close, but I still could not like yellow or play her piano songs :) Her boundaries have changed over the years, but she is still a good example of knowing where she needs those boundaries.
Confidence: It is okay for me to be confident in my abilities. Have I ever taught Spanish before this year? No. Do I have a teaching license? No (well, technically I have a provisional one) Have I ever completed student teaching? No. Can I teach high school Spanish? Sure! My training, studies and experiences are valid even if I don't have certificates saying they are. Paige wasn't afraid to build a business or write books. She just knew she could do these things.
Independence: Regardless of who I am married to, who my children are or others I am associated with, I am my own person. I have been learning to build my own identity based on my own likes and desires. (I can actually have preferences and desires? It's crazy and amazing!) Paige has always had her own identity and been proud of who she is. That independence runs deep and strong. I am still learning, but where she is, is my goal.
Happy Birthday, Paige. Thank you for being a living, breathing example for me to follow.
Saturday, May 26, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
3 comments:
I love how you pick out the awesome things and build people with them. You are so very good at kind and true words. I want to be like that too.
Can I just learn to be nice like you? That's what I want to build up to.
How wonderful you are seeing each other's strengths and resolving to gain the sister's strengths! It brings tears to my eyes. Mr. Hugs.
Post a Comment