Tuesday, June 5, 2018

What it's like to live at our house. . .

This summer got off to a bit of a rough start. The kids were annoying each other and whining about it and Ivy got stung by a bee.  We were just arriving at the library so that Faith and her friend Alexis could spend some time studying for the SAT, I was going to get through some more of my classes and Will and Ivy were going to play on the computers.  As we walked up to the front doors of the library, Ivy started freaking out because of a bee (this is normal) that was on her, but it stung her (this is not normal). The freaking out got worse. Poor Ivy. She isn't afraid to let her pain out. When she is hurt, she screams. Faith heard the screaming and she and Alexis went in the library as quickly as possible to get away.

Ivy and I went into the cafe at the library and asked for ice. The guy there was really nice and a teacher whose heart strings had been tugged by all the commotion came to help as much as possible too for a short time. After about 10 minutes Ivy stopped shaking so much and we decided that a chocolate muffin from the cafe might help her get better. It was a fantastic idea. She ate her muffin and we were able to go join Will in the library for fun (them) and studying (me).



I was actually grateful to have been stung last year so I could tell Ivy that my sting felt and looked exactly like hers and that it would hurt (but manageably) for a long time. I think she has even healed faster than I did because after Friday, we didn't really hear anything else about it.

As for the fighting, I have made the rule that this summer nobody will eat treats unless their siblings approve it because they have been nice enough to earn a treat. It has seemed to help a little bit. We are learning a lot about who is willing to be nice for treats and will hold out on the permission because they feel maltreated.

Today I was the last to get out of the pool so was the only one outside and Will had to go get written permission from his sisters because they weren't going to come out to tell me:
Ivy's is hard to read. It says, "I approve Will."

Faith had too much fun with the written permission and insisted on giving permission only in written form for Ivy too:


She loves power a bit too much and loves to write too...does that remind you of anyone you know? The big difference is that she likes to shower too much affection on Ivy and that bugs Ivy.

Summer at our house generally means that I'm finding ways to bribe my children to exhibit the behaviors I want them to.

In other good news Faith is taking an online sociology course this summer. She had to watch the movie "Freakonomics" already which was a good review for her as our family listened to the book on CD last summer. She hasn't had as many hours of tutoring since summer started, but it was quite the frenzy right before finals.

Ivy's gymnastics is coming along nicely. She is working on getting her round-off back hand springs and front hand springs and tucks. I see her get stronger every time she goes. She tells me that she gets butterflies before class each time, but that she really loves it even though it scares her a little bit.

Will is going to do rec league basketball again this summer in preparation for trying out for the school team this fall. He is growing a lot and is only maybe an inch and half shorter than Faith. He only has one more baby tooth that we hope comes out soon and will start "Phase 2" of braces soon.

Bill is back at Access Health Dental these days. It's good to be needed, but they are so so needy! There is always too much to do. This has extended our awesome dental benefits and we really didn't want to change dentists anyway. Our dentist is really nice and has super small hands.

As for me, this summer I am trying to solve the mystery of the pool equipment. Just today I found it (for the second time this summer) looking like it had been tampered with. Is there a pool guy out there who thinks we will hire him if our pool gets dirty? Just not sure what's happening there.

I'll post soon about The Luke Show from this last weekend. It was fun!

2 comments:

Paige said...

Hmmmm. Power and writing. Azya?

I'm so sorry for Ivy. The fact that she'd allow you to photograph the after sting sadness is adorable, though.

HW said...

I like how generously Paige suggests maybe those traits are her daughter's.

And I just love knowing what it's like living at your house. I need to do a similar post. Summer is whipping my tail. As usual.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...