Sunday, February 17, 2019

Valentine's week

The week started out with my guest speaker for school cancelling on me the night before...that kind of describes my week for the most part :(

I have been a little bit down lately because a week or two ago  I found out that my school is downsizing the Spanish department so I'm going to have to find a different school to work at next year. I have been trying to enjoy every bit of time I get there until the year ends.

However...good things have been happening too:

1. For Valentine's Day Bill and I figured out just the right things to get at Panda express to feel good at the end of the meal: mixed veggies with Beijing beef...and we both got great fortunes as well. Do the fortunes still count even if you don't eat the cookies?

2. Will is 1/8 of an inch away from being 5'7". I think he likes to grow tall. He hasn't had any treats since Faith's birthday - not even on his own birthday because he has wanted to outdo Faith. Everything is becoming a competition between those two.

3. Yesterday I was the best mom ever for Ivy. I can only do it for one child at a time. We had two of her friends over for pancakes and games. When the games turned into indoor soccer and screaming, we took the friends home.

4. Faith has now been accepted to New York Institute of Technology, Rochester Institute of Technology, Nazareth College, and UNR. So far, UNR is offering the most money. She'll probably go there. She has been texting with a guy from work all weekend long, but is figuring out that he is boring because he is really into sports. I think she likes him anyway.

5. I joined a book club last fall with some people from my work. They have only met twice now and I went to this last meeting on Friday after school. I was debating about going or not because I didn't read the book, but decided to go and just come clean that even though I didn't read the book I thought it would be a big time saver to come to the book club. I think they were impressed with my honesty :) and they answered all my questions that I was left with from all the reviews I read. I promised that next time I will read the book.

6. Bill got dinner for the family and brought it home tonight. It was the highlight of my week.  Wow that sounds pathetic, but I'm honestly trying to think of something better than that, but nothing is coming. I guess that's just how good it is to have someone else take care of dinner!


4 comments:

Paige said...

Panda is hard to navigate, so I'm glad you found a combination that works. I think Will might even outgrow his dad (don't tell Bill - we'll just see what happens.) Ivy is so spunky and fun and I'm glad she got to kick back with friends -- literally. In case I haven't said it in a week or so, Faith is brilliant and beautiful at the same time. Your summary of book club made me laugh. I really enjoyed the two chapters I read in your classroom of the book behind your desk about people involved in the making of the atomic bomb. It answered questions I actually did have. And dinner made by someone else? Yes. That's a big deal.

Paige said...

Surely they need a social studies teacher at your school . . . I would cross my fingers and hope in that direction if it would help.

HW said...

I'm so sorry your job you love is disappearing! I hope you find another perfect school. I chuckled at your report on Faith. Tell her I like her uncle even though sports really are boring. The rest of him isn't boring at all. And what is your book club reading next? I'm not super excited about our next pick, The Wright Brothers by McCullough. I'm sure it's great and Dad would love it, but his books have left me flat in the past.

kirsta said...

Paige, unfortunately I'm not licensed to teach social studies...also my school isn't looking for any social studies teachers, but I think they do need to hire an English teacher, so if you're interested...

Heather my book club is reading Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown. I have the CD on hold at the library so I'm more committed this time :) Plus I really need to read the last one, it sounded really good, Eleanor Oliphant Is Perfectly Fine.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...