The title of this post came from a professional development class I had to attend this week. It was a bit of a waste of time. Talking about stress and anxiety just made me more stressed out and anxious. By the end of the hour I had a knot in my stomach.
Did I tell you I am the Color Guard advisor at Basic this year? I think it's the right year for me to do it because even though there is still quite a time commitment, it's not like a regular year with a field show and Winter Guard. I just finished making up both a flag and a rifle routine to a 2 minute band version of "Living on a Prayer." I'm quite proud of myself even though there are a lot of repeats and some pretty easy moves. (Had to make it easy for our newbies.)
Will hates Cross Fit this year as much as he loved it last year. Instead of working out during class time his teacher makes them listen to fitness/motivational sound bites and talks the whole time. I think he's not drinking the punch. He'd just prefer to work out. He hangs out with his friends occasionally, but just as often doesn't get to because he is doing homework. (Crazy times here!) He still likes to tell me about things he finds or is doing online, but the things he finds/does online get more and more interesting all the time :)
Ivy is taking swimming lessons in the hopes of getting on a swim team. She had a substitute today in her class who paid lots more attention to her than her regular teacher and gave her some good feedback! School is going pretty well for her. She is enjoying science so much this year. At one point they were even talking about chemistry and learning to balance chemical equations. I was pretty impressed for 7th grade science! She is going to a Halloween party next Friday with a few friends and I am excited for her to get to be with friends for a little while.
Bill went hiking with Greg Ladd last week which was fun for us too because we got to see and talk to Greg when they got back from hiking. He looks great and has such a broad array of topics that he is conversant on. Besides hiking, Bill also recently found someone to trim our trees for us. Our HOA had put us on notice for how big and out of control our palo verde in the front was getting. We sure solved that problem! That thing loves to grow, so it won't look so bare for very long.
Last night Bill and I went to dinner with our new next-door neighbors, Julie and Stephan. They are interesting and fun and we had a great time. Stephan is a German engineer who works for Siemens. He is working on a high speed train from LAS to LAX for the next few years. Julie graduated from high school in 1992, graduated from college in Spanish and is a Libra. We also both have a daughter named Ivy. We obviously had a lot in common, so didn't run out of things to say. It was great fun and will tide us over to our next social interaction. I want to be friends with her, but there isn't much to invite her to do. Maybe I will suggest walking?
I only have words - no pictures today. I can only handle one or the other these days! Why have simple things become so hard for me?
4 comments:
Words are GREAT!!! And you didn't tell us about the colorguard thing, but I think Paige did on her blog--and I forgot to ask you about it! You sound like you are only committed to it for this off year. Maybe you will love it so much you'll keep going? I loved the happy news for everyone at home. Ivy swimming. Will doing homework! And you guys getting together with new friends. Sounds like quite a bit to be thankful for. I'm sorry about the knots in your stomach. I totally get that. I have a friend who said of this time, "There are some really great parts, with a serious side of anxiety!"
I agree the most of the time when you go to Professional Training it's so common sense that it's nonsense, or so far out there as to be inapplicable in your life. I think you should plug your ears and say la la la la la the whole time. I wonder if Will has the option to work out in spite of his talkative teacher? I think he's nifty and motivated. Ivy swimming is great. I hope she gets on a competitive team. Those are fun. Thank you for telling me about your Greg sighting. He makes me really happy. I'm glad he goes hiking with Bill every now and then. Also, finding a cool friend just next door with good taste in child names sounds like a party to me. You can probably also make a walk into a party. Thank you so much for coming over to help out with the kitchen cleaning. You are lovely girl. I hope your flags and rifles get to compete drink something. Maybe not a full show. But something.
I am so glad you posted. If I were better with words I would use just them more. Your PD sounds like a good way to have a stress and anxious filled day. Your color guard sounds fun! Those kids are lucky to have you. I am glad you have an easier year to be in charge.
I hope Will get to work out more in his workout class. Silly teacher. It sounds like he’s having a typical high school year with some weird balance of social life Oakes full of lots of homework. I wish him luck.
I am jealous Ivy has a pool to swim in to try to make a swim team. Those things are limited here. I hope she makes her goal! It sounds like she has a great science teacher to be doing such cool stuff.That always makes a big difference.
It sounds like a great date and great neighbors. I hope things work out well. Plus a Greg sighting/visit sounds fascinating.
Lots of love to all of you!
KJ, I just got into your blog -- We're in LGL today. I failed to get permission to view your blog in UT. Apparently I have it in NV.
I understand your melancholy. I've been developing it too. Love from Dad N.
Post a Comment