Saturday we had a small gathering to celebrate (early) Will's 16th birthday. Bill is going to be out of town for the next two weeks, so we wanted to have the party while he was here.
It was an orange-themed party this time. (Ivy didn't have any orange to wear!)
Papa Fred and Marj came to help celebrate. They brought an apple crisp pie and a card with $16 in it for Will - perfect! They were lots of fun and even humored us by playing bat all the balloons around each other for awhile.
Will requested that we have cornish game hens. He really likes chicken. For potatoes we had tater tots and then we had rolls, fruit salad and a green salad to go with. I decided that we couldn't eat cornish game hens without breaking out the fine china. Will and Ivy thought that was really extra of me.
He got a chocolate cake with orange icing balloons on it (that we didn't get a picture of) and Ivy chose cookies and cream ice cream to go with. We bought some more goblets at the dollar store (because Faith took her blue ones to Reno) and used them to cut the cake. We promised Will he could take these ones to college with him :) I think he liked that they were black frosted. (You can see them in the background on the far counter.)
Will got some sweats, an alligator capo and an orange Harry's razor. His RAM and Yu Gi O cards are still coming in the mail. The one thing we forgot to do was video call Faith so she could be a part of it all. Shoot. Just not hitting all my targets lately.
Will is now 5'10", has quite a low voice and weighs 130 lbs. He is getting better and better at the guitar. He is looking forward to being old enough to have a job. He wants to get his license, but doesn't like long road trips to get his time in for his permit. We have been making an effort to have him drive to and from Cross Fit when he goes 3 times a week because even though it's only 5 minutes away, those minutes add up. Plus, that is a road he will be driving a lot to and from school (HOPEFULLY ONE DAY!!)
Will still enjoys people. Especially people his age. He puts up with being around family all the time okay, but he does best if he can get some good friend time in at least weekly. He has friends all over the world right now because virtual life is a real thing :) He often agrees to help me go grocery shopping and when he goes he always does the heavy lifting. He's good help. Sadly, as of late he hasn't been dancing as much (like not at all!)
I can't believe it has been 16 years! I feel so lucky to have watched that tiny preemie become an adorable little boy who loved to wear red rain boots and a plastic fireman's hat to the store, then the middle years where he did tons of origami, doodled not-stop, was the four-square sensei, and Ivy's favorite person in the world. Sure love this teenager. We feel pretty lucky to have this particular teenage boy here.






3 comments:
I love 16 year old boys! It is when they are fully out of the obnoxious stage that lasts about forever and fully embark on the hilarious and helpful stage. But I especially love yours. I love how he is so much like you in all the fun ways. He makes it a party when he is around. He makes life lighter and more fun. And maybe I'll come to your house for my birthday some time. You're the best at celebrating them. Did the orange have significance too or just another random thing?
The way you talk about Will is tender and funny and perfect. I remember when he was a little tyke and he walked around after Faith sucking his thumb and holding up his pants. It's such a pleasure to me to see you where you are and know I have been there pretty recently because the last several months have very disorienting. I'm glad that you're willing to be fun for birthdays, and that Dad and Marj join right in. Zooming in on the black goblets made me happy because I got to see your son's smile up close
Happy Birthday Will!!! What a fun way to celebrate your boy! I can hardly believe he is 16. It is always so great to see pictures of your dad and Marj. I am glad you got to have a small celebration. It looked so fun and orange is a great celebrating color! I also really like the picture of you and Ivy. You two are beautiful.
Post a Comment