Sunday, May 16, 2021

One Great Big Week

 This week started out with a very big change in Ivy's hair. She decided she wanted really short hair. The stylist had a lot of fun cutting it and I think it turned out so cute! She doesn't really do much to it and it just looks great. She wants to go shorter next time!

Before

After

Then on Thursday, Will passed his driving test with 100% and got his license. (The actual license is coming in the mail.) He was a little bit nervous when the test started, but he said that once the test administrator started making small talk, he started feeling better and like it wouldn't be a big deal. (He also got a major haircut recently and we decided that it actually helped his volleyball game!)


On Saturday Faith graduated with her Bachelors degree in Journalism from the Reynold's School of Journalism at UNR. She did it quickly and didn't sully her straight A record from kindergarten. Right after graduation on Saturday she bought her first car. It's a 2011 blue Nissan Altima. I thought Nana Patty would have approved :) Then this morning she drove her blue car down to her new apartment in Carson City where she will start her new job on Wednesday. It's all a little bit mind bending.

Here are a few of the pictures from our trip to Reno:

The Grad with her dad

Will was really fun to have around during a long graduation ceremony, and Faith was more than willing to share her hat with him.

Yay! Now she has wheels!

Faith's favorite place on campus is the graffiti stairwell in the art building.


Ivy's hair does this effortlessly.

Will gets caught in crazy town effortlessly.

He got really excited about the "mini monkey bars" :)

Saying goodbye to Faith this morning.

It was more emotional than I anticipated and I shed some tears on the way out of town. When I sent my kids to kindergarten, they started coming home with information that I hadn't taught them and wasn't around when they learned it. It was a step away from Mom. This big step of independence felt like another step away from Mom. Of course she will do beautifully and this is what we raised her to do! We want her to go out in the world and start having an impact for good. It just feels like two things at once: reaching a goal and losing something all at the same time.

The one thing that remains constant that I am truly grateful for is that I have Bill to go through all of this with me. He obviously has his own perspective on all of it, but he is the only one who has been there every day of it with me.

3 comments:

Paige said...

If I'm allowed to specify what I want for Christmas that photo of you and Bill in the stairwell should be your Christmas card. In the last photo Faith is the only person really smiling which was poignant but also amusing. The act of watching children actually go away is painful. Plain and simple.

HW said...

Man I love you guys!!! What powerful moments you were having! The hair updates were symbol of even bigger things. And the hair updates were excellent! Ivy is adorable and looks like a completely different person with a short hairdo. Will is tall and hilarious! Aren't you glad he is still around?! And Faith. Oh wow. This is such a big deal. And she is just doing it with grace and confidence like it isn't. Your heart! It's sometimes hard to have it running around in other people, isn't it?!

Kayci said...

Oh wow! That was a big week and even bigger weekend. Faith just goes about doing good things and succeeding in life. How wonderful and heart wrenching at the same time. Her car is cute and does remind me of Aunt Patty.
The hair cuts are wonderful. Ivy is so brave for going so short. Lots of love to you guys!

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...