Sunday, January 2, 2022

Welcome, 2022!

 This week Bill and I made a quick trip to the border. Literally. We decided to cross at Yuma instead of Mexicali. It's smaller and easier to get back. Our total wait time to cross back was probably only 10 minutes max. We've never done it that fast in Mexicali!


On our way there and back we were so taken with these mountains just south of Quartzite. It's rare to drive through when it's overcast and the shadows of the late afternoon sun played off the peaks and valleys in such a dramatic way.

We stopped in Quartzite on the way home to go to the bathroom and go see the huge Gem store. They had the biggest geodes I had ever seen! Also, Bill was a little scared that free spirit Kirsta was going to come out and never go away. Ha ha! They were gearing up for the big rock and mineral show this month. Lots of trailers and tents coming to town.

We took a big chance when our winter break started. We bought a puzzle from a bag at Goodwill and there wasn't a picture to go with to show you what you were making, and we didn't know how many missing pieces there were! We completed it last week in a three-way effort of Will, Ivy and I. And there were 0 missing pieces! It was a happy moment :)

I have also been reading this book over break. I put my name on the waitlist at the library for it. It took a couple of months, but was a good read. It's written by a psychiatrist at Stanford University and her point is made nicely through both anecdotal stories from her practice as well as studies (a surprising number of rat studies - thank goodness for rats!)

Anna Lembke was one of the guests on the Rich Roll podcast which I sometimes listen to. I was introduced to Courtney Dauwalter and Leah Goldstein on his podcast who are both athletes that I found really inspiring.

Will has been working at Wetzel's Pretzels a lot this last week. His boss really likes him, but wants him to be older and not in school so he can work more. Will is starting off 2022 at 5'11" tall and over 130 pounds. He has been complaining about growing pains in his shoulders, so we expect more growth this year. He will be a senior by the end of the year, which makes me excited for him, but a little sad for me. He wants to continue to run in college at this point.

Ivy is Luna's favorite human, but Ivy thinks Luna is a little bit too demanding of time and attention. Ivy has things to do on the phone, but somehow carves out time to play with Luna during the day. This year Ivy will have 8th grade health, and I am the only one who is excited about that. I keep telling Ivy that they give great information in that class and to really pay attention. I even said that we might be doing things wrong at home and Ivy can come home and tell us if we are. (Faith and Will both came home from health telling me we should be eating wheat bread, but every time we tried to integrate it, I was the only one who would eat it.) Ivy will also start high school this year! Ivy is starting out the year at 5'2" and on a good day (not that often) is able to turn on the airbag sitting in the passenger seat of the car.

Luna is adorable! It's hard to do anything when she is snuggly because I just want to hold her and pet her. I think I probably smell like a cat now. We did give her a bath last week and it went okay. I just made the mistake of trying to blow dry her fur with the hair dryer. That was a really bad idea. Our next project is to learn how to trim kitty toenails. A few days ago we gave her a small ball of yarn to play with and that has really kept her busy for the last few days. What fun!


2 comments:

HW said...

I loved all the updates! Ivy is growing! I think it is kind of funny they think Luna is too needy. And Will is getting so tall too! I loved all the details from the puzzle and the trip to Mexico. And how you do that like it is totally no big deal. Do you go back to school tomorrow? G and E are back at it on Wednesday.

Paige said...

I savour every sentence of your blog post, then I can’t remember anything about it when its time to comment. Isn’t that ironic?

Okay, now things are coming back to me. It’s funny that you’re so willing to change based on advice from the middle school or high school teachers’ wisdom on health. Sounds like they have made an impression on your first two children. Also funny that people don’t go along with their own good advice.

I doubt that you smell like cat. Allergic people start to sneeze in your presence that you need to worry. Just do laundry, like you always do. I love seeing more cat photos on your blog.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...