Friday, January 31, 2025

St. George and Back

 Yesterday after school, Bill and I went to St. George to have dinner with Aunt Ruby and Uncle Bart (who have been staying there for several weeks this winter) as well as Dad and Marj (who were visiting them this week!) It was great to see them all.

Uncle Bart is now 72 and has arthritis pain in his right hand that is a nuisance for him. He is a little bit shaky too, but cognitively seems as sharp as ever. He told us about when they lived in Albuquerque just after he finished college and Scott was a baby.

Aunt Ruby is just as wonderful as ever. She says that her joints are doing great and recommends eating well and continuing to exercise :) She reported that Melanie is now on a mission in the Philipines, Tracy is clerking in a court in SLC. Her daughter Mallory is married and living in Las Vegas and Tracy's son Parker is married and has a PhD in chemistry and living near Boulder Colorado doing very smart things. Mark and Rebecca travel a lot because she is working for an airline. Cindy is starting a new job doing big things and back in Utah with her sweet husband. I feel bad I didn't get a report on Joe. Laurie's oldest son is almost old enough to go on a mission. Julie's husband is being kept on the East Coast with golden handcuffs and she has given up hope that they will come back west. Suzie is trying to find solutions for her daughter's health issues and is still in Midvale. Kristi's husband is working at Walmart and learning new English vocabulary like "tail lights" and "trunk". Their daughter is six and I kept trying to see if she had a picture of her, but we never got there :)

Marj seems good. She said she cured her bursitis with ice and heat treatments. She cooked us all dinner and told what I thought was a hilarious story about her son's mother-in-law who has warehouses full of collector Pez dispensers. (Bill recommended selling now.) 

It was especially good to see Dad. Once in a while he would catch something in the conversation that caught his interest and his eyes would twinkle. He didn't remember his famous conversation with Bill when Bill asked for his permission to marry me. There were a lot of things that were a surprise to him. It was fun in a way. But also sad. I told him (and Marj, because I don't think Dad will remember) that I want to celebrate his 88th birthday with him this year. Uncle Bart and and Ruby thought it would be great to double up and invite Aunt Ruth too and celebrate her too, which would be okay, but I told them that just so they know, we celebrate Happy Planes Day on May 30. They both thought that her husband Larry wouldn't mind that.

After a great visit we drove home in the dark tired, but happy. I'm truly sorry I didn't get any pictures. 


2 comments:

HW said...

Oh I'm so glad you got to visit with them! I just adore Aunt Ruby and Uncle Bart. Their goodness just radiates, doesn't it? And I love hearing about Dad twinkling when he heard fun things. And don't you just love Marj? She makes everything better I think. Thank you for the wonderful report!

Paige said...

I savored each and every word of this. EACH WORD. What great reports you give. It must have been a really magical day.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...