Saturday, August 23, 2025

Second Verse, same as the first. A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

 

The title is a perfect description of my week. Those ginormous Spanish 1 classes will be slightly alleviated by the new section that I'm opening up on Monday, but they are still going to be over 40. I keep swinging in between being amazed at how fun it is to get 50 students all singing the fun songs and do the stuff with me, and wondering how I will control all this chaos. It's a good thing the students are all pretty great. I don't have complaints about them except a few upper classmen who have serious issues with their phones. I lost my voice on Monday, skipped school to try to get my voice back on Tuesday and then just hobbled through the rest of the week best I could. I'm not at 100% with my voice yet, but I do sound much better than before now and I'm getting my energy back. I made it a priority to really control the coughing with those Mucinex cough drops and I think they made a difference this year.

Faith's Someone 2 Know feature was about a 72 year-old woman who teaches swimming lessons in Reno. I crossed my fingers and said a little prayer that I could get there with teaching! She was so positive and looked young for her age it made me wonder if I don't have what it takes!! Faith and Collin are settling into their new condo and have to be completely out of their apartment by the end of the month. I need to call her to see if they were able to move everything or sell the leftover stuff yet. She has one active little baby inside of her and featured her belly once for a short bit while anchoring this week - giving herself reasons to eat the new Reese's/Oreo collab. cookies. So cute!!!

Ivy's business is reaching whole new levels, but sleeping in for another hour (with an open first period) has made all the difference this year in making life more manageable. She worked 2 nights at the rec center this week, had senior sunrise on Friday (of course there was cross country running every day after school in extreme heat) and this morning she took the SAT and will run varsity at a cross country meet. She is also filling out applications for college, getting teachers to write letters of recommendation and applying for scholarships in every spare moment. She also has some really great friends who are just as busy!





I got to spend a little bit of time with Will today as we ran errands together this afternoon in the hot hot heat.  His phone was having some problems so we took it in to get fixed. Then we ran to Walmart where we bumped into one of my new Spanish 2h students, Home Goods where I got a new pot, Chik-fil-A for some lunch and the Spirit of Halloween just for fun. We couldn't believe how busy Spirit of Halloween was! There were a lot of people there. It was hopping. Will is still a lot of fun to shop with. We talk about how he has to wear baggy clothes because still nothing works for his shoulder to waist ratio and his waist to leg ratio. He is busy bulking up so we talk a little bit about protein too. I keep telling him that we should take pictures of him for a dating profile, but it makes him melt clear to the floor as evidenced in the collage. He hates everything about that.

Time to go to Ivy's first meet of the season!!! Super excited for her!

3 comments:

HW said...

Oh! I wish I could have run errands with you and Will. That is just a party! I kept reading the sentence about Ivy’s business and kept wondering what entrepreneurial endeavor she has started, but then I decided it just meant that she is good at leveling up. A senior this year! Wow. She looks like she is handling it in stride. And Faith too! I’m so excited for a wiggly new grandniece or nephew. I also wish to be a bug on the wall for your Spanish classes. Or maybe just a full on participant. I bet that is a party too. Talking to you was just the best! I love you Kirsta!!!

Paige said...

Picturing your son as he goes all the way to the floor as he contemplates online dating made such an impression on me. Isn't that the way all single people feel? I'm sure he's going to find what he wants in life using his own system. That's just what he does. Good luck to Bill as he studies for every test. He's a go-getter.

kirsta said...

I re-read that and need to go change it! You're right - it sounds like Ivy has a business and I meant busy-ness :) It took me a whole minute to figure out what I meant by that! hahahaha

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...