Friday, July 20, 2012

We Did It!

It took over a year, but we finished reading The Book of Mormon with the kids a few weeks ago.  To keep everyone quiet and their hands busy, we drew pictures while we listened to it on CD.  Does that count as "reading"?  Maybe not, but my children have heard every word in that book - even the ones that couldn't read - and that's important to me.  So I thought that when we finished we would have an Evans Illustrated Book of Mormon.  See?  This was our cover page:


However, it didn't take very long before the pictures didn't seem to really go along with the words in the book. Below is Will's picture for 1Nephi 14.  Maybe there was something about the devil in that chapter that really caught Will's interest?
We went through a phase where we traced hands and feet a lot and then colored them in.  Mostly Ivy's feet because they fit so nicely on the page and she loved it.
And then there was Faith's dragon phase.
And this?  No idea if there were words in The Book of Mormon that inspired this one:
This is definitely an Ivy picture:
We will always remember that by the time we got to Mormon we were no longer in Cottonwood because Will was drawing Angry Birds during scripture time.
About half way through, Faith quit drawing pictures and sat and listened or read along in the Book of Mormon, so this one below is a real treat.  (It actually looks like a combined effort between the girls.)  And she even has some words in that one that are found in the chapter we were reading...along with some mythology for good measure.
Even though their pictures didn't indicate that they were listening very well, there were days when we had a quiz at the end of the reading to earn M&M's.  (The kids begged for quizzes almost every day because it was a chance to earn an extra treat.)  I was surprised during the quizzes that no matter what they drew in their pictures, they were hearing and understanding a lot of those words.

We are now reading The New Testament. Will requested that we read next where it talks about the temptations of Jesus. He really likes that story.

5 comments:

Hugs, Mom said...

This is precious! Such a good idea. Maybe we'd all get more out of things if we kept our hands busy drawing. Oh, I do so love those Evans children!

HW said...

What an awesome idea! I need to have M&M quizzes after sacrament meeting. Last Sunday I was too busy laughing at my daughters' picture to do anything but cry and pretend I was being touched by the spirit.

Paige said...

We also finished the Book of Mormon this week. I have been using the method of "hope they're not still asleep, but be glad they're all quiet" first thing in the morning. Drawing would be a lot of fun. Maybe I'll have them read to ME while I get to draw next time we do the Book of Mormon.

Kayci said...

This is fun. We have finished reading the Book of Mormon to the kids this year. We do it at night after family prayers, they have to get in bed and we read a chapter to them before the book we are reading to them. I have no idea if they retain any of it. Though sometimes they ask what things mean.

We started on the New Testament too. I have a goal of having everyone reading in the mornings too, but it's not really happening right now.

Rachael said...

I love love the dragon phase :)

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...