Monday, April 8, 2013

And In Other News...

We chopped Ivy's hair off a week or two ago.  It is just above her shoulders.  I loved her long hair so much.  Will and I miss it.  Even so, life is better this way for everyone.  Life has always been this way for Ivy and it's the same with her hair: if she can do it herself, life is a lot better.  She is doing her own hair now and is pretty good at it for a 4 year old.  I do insist on doing her bangs for her, but she is much happier with me not touching the rest of it.

Figuring out my kids is one of the many joys of motherhood.  Life gets easier with each little realization, plus it's so much fun learning more and more who each child is.  When Ivy was under a year old (I remember she didn't have words yet) she would cry and cry each time I laid her back in the tub to wash her hair. Life got so much better for both of us when I realized that she wanted to just look up and have me pour water on her head like I did with the other kids.  Will needs a gentle touch.  He excels with praise. He is much more willing to work on spelling with me if we put his 100% spelling tests on the refrigerator.  Faith will negotiate to get what she wants.  And she's tenacious about it.  If my answer is truly no, I have to let her know from the beginning, or everyone's life gets harder and harder.

The BYU International Folk Dance Ensemble came to Las Vegas last month.  We went to see them as a family.  It was hilarious to watch Bill tell the kids what to expect.  He was pretty much right on the money, but it was really funny!  They did 2 Indian numbers: one was traditional and the other was a Bollywood piece that was really fun.  There was a bit too much Irish dance, but the whole thing was so much fun to watch for me.  I smiled the whole time.  In the end I was the only one in my family who wanted a picture with the folk dancers!  Can you believe that?
Faith saw the picture and laughed as she said in a menacing tone, "You're coming with us!"  Isn't she funny?

Speaking of folk dancers, I saw Laurel Shelley when I went to Utah last month.  It's funny how much the same she is and it feels just the same talking to her as ever.  She is the only one of my teachers I keep in touch with (though I am friends with my 5th grade teacher on facebook.)  Laurel told me that Neher is retiring this year and her daughter is joining the military.  She said that Allsop-Day has already retired and is Relief Society President in her ward too (just like Laurel).

I also saw Jenny Tolman Call while I was in Utah.  She is still happy and great.  Her parents are starting a new company with their son, Brian.  Jenny lives in Alpine and is the camp director and has 3 teenage daughters.

I have to go take Will to school.



4 comments:

Hugs, Mom said...

What? No picture of Ivy's new do? Loved the picture and folk dance memories. Isn't it the GREATEST THING EVER to get to be a mommy? Great description of your beautiful children!!

HW said...

I loved your news! And I need to see pictures of Ivy Jane's new look. I'm impressed you keep in touch with ANY of your school teachers. I can't even think of one that I do.

Paige said...

Time to write to those teachers again -- so they know they're still appreciated. New project. Those Ukranian flower heads are funny. Still, there are some good memories. We had things like that even in marching band. Laurel and her folkdance influence are two of the good things in my life. You are also one of the most important good things in my life. Tell Faith I think she's funny.

Kayci said...

What a fun outing. I love Faith comment too. And that is so cool that you keep in contact with any of your teachers. You are even more amazing than I knew.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...