What Will loves to do more than anything is play. We leave for school early so that he can wait by the gate and be there right when they open the gates to his school so he can have his whole recess time. He only gets recess before school and for a few minutes before lunch. He'll give up treats and sleep for playtime. Every day after school he asks if he can play outside. I usually say yes. He spends the afternoon riding bikes, talking, skateboarding, shooting hoops and sometimes sneaking in time on Easton's (our next door neighbor's) laptop in their garage.
When Ivy gets sad, Will is especially good at making her laugh and smile. He acts silly until she just gives in to the silliness and plays along with him.
Last month at cub scouts, they started making bird houses. They didn't finish. Will brought it home and I sent him outside one Saturday to finish it. It was just too hard for him. He gave up. But Ivy didn't! She thought it was great fun to pound with the hammer.
She would have finished it for him...if she had the skills for it. She still thinks she could have done it, but I happen to know that it was a lot harder than she thought it was.
I didn't force the issue and we ended up throwing the unfinished bird house in the garbage. It just wasn't at all like playing. If I could have found a way to make it more like playing, maybe it would have gotten finished.
Monday, May 5, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
3 comments:
The contrast between the play and work pictures is heartbreaking! I love that boy.
I bet someone in the Scouting program thought EVERYONE would like to build a bird house. They probably imagined joy and glee. sigh!
I would have come over to finish that bird house. It's my idea of play.
Post a Comment