| This is our latest artwork from the library (it's my favorite so far.) |
Will and three friends met at our house for pizza before heading out to get as much candy as they could. I gave them some good ideas to maximize the amount of candy they get at each house. One of his friends, Joe, is a bit of a mess. He's known for being one of the only students at the school that has hacked the computer system. More than once. He once invited a friend over to his house and his mother found her wood floors with cooking oil all over them so they could slide better. I hope they didn't get into trouble.
Faith was at MathEase tutoring a poor middle school student who won't get to go trick-or-treating tonight. She dressed as an evil math tutor. This is her poem about being a math tutor:
September
September is the best month to be a math tutor,
Young, hopeful students are just realizing that they are doomed.
And, every horror story that you ever heard in the middle-school hallway is true: us mathematicians feed off misery and confusion.
I live for the puzzled faces of sixth graders who have never seen a negative number.
Their downcast eyes fuel the fiery inferno inside me that burns through pages and pages of long division.
As they sadly tap the keys of a TI-83 Plus for the first time, my black-hole-for-a-soul cackles with joy.
By the time they reach Algebra I, my pounding heart swells with anticipation,
For, without fail, each and every one of my students sobs and asks “What do you mean there are letters in math?”
And I await the glorious day that they give in and buy a separate pink eraser for their homework,
For each furious pencil shaving that rubs against my desk
signifies one more servant that will be added to my castle in the underworld.
But it only gets better, for after Algebra I, I introduce them to geometry.
The subject comes with exactly eight pages of formulas that must be memorized,
and every time they commit an expression to memory,
a fairy dies, and it’s magic is transferred to me so that I can invent more math.
They drag their feet as I invite them into my office twice a week,
to assign them additional homework on top of what they received from school.
And that is why September is every math tutor’s favorite month: it marks the beginning of a year of sustaining bewilderment.
Bill took Ivy out trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. Ivy drew his whiskers on him. (Ivy went as a bandit.)
That left me home alone to play the latest game I am obsessed with.
| Yes, my other tab is Amazon. Faith and I were looking for a kit online to test our blood type. |
When they got home, Ivy was exhausted.
3 comments:
I love your poppies! You should keep that one, though that's probably not legal, huh? And Bill is such a cute Cat in the Hat! It made me wish your smug bandit were a Thing. Faith has a wicked sense of humor. So much fun! I kinda want to meet Joe. He thinks big. And 2048 with cupcakes?! As if it weren't addictive enough on its own!! Yikes!
That is the funniest post-Halloween-apocalypse zombie. I thought candy makes kids happy. The cupcake game. Wow. Delicious. You're people look so good in their costumes. Also, I need to look into that art sharing program. You picked a good one.
What a great night! I love all the costumes but the people in them even more! Faith’s poem is wonderful! And I just beat 2048 in numbers the cupcakes look yummy but I better not try it. That darn game.
Post a Comment