Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Pics with my new camera

I got a new camera to take on vacation with me and have been really excited about it. It is waterproof and shock proof up to 10 feet. That means that I can drop it or take pictures under water and it should still work for me. (I don't plan on doing the former and am scared to try the latter.)

Anyway, here are the pictures I have been taking with it. These are straight off the camera. No filters or editing:

 Selfie on the sofa with my girlies. These first pictures are all very red...

 The camera has a setting on it where you can take really great close-up pictures. I like how you can see the fuzz on the Strawberries.

 These are Mom's green gloves with my scarf behind them. I thought it looked like something out of the 1960's.

 Faith is my most compliant model these days. I can't believe she is a Senior and filling out college applications. Just tonight she filled out an application to UNR (I made her) and she emailed the recruiter who came to her school to see if she could get a fee waiver on the application fee. Love this girl.

 We bought this red shirt at Salvation Army so that we could make it into a peasant shirt and she could be Miguel from The Road to El Dorado for Halloween. I'll have to post a picture of her cartoon painted face on the day she dressed up for the costume contest at school.

And BTW, this is my favorite way to re-purpose a button down men's shirt. I did it for Trek a couple of years ago and I think they turn out quite jaunty!



 This last Saturday Bill ran the Tough Mudder with his brothers, Dan and Zeke. He told me later, "I'm really the whitest one of my brothers. It's like my skin doesn't take pigment." I think they did pretty well. They complete the half race (plus some extra obstacles because of taking a wrong turn) and finished in 2.25 hours.

 While Bill and crew were running the Tough Mudder Faith, Will, Ivy and I were at the Las Vegas Book Festival. We got free stuff, listened to Faith's poetry, and had some fun. They guy above was typing up Haikus on any subject except anime on the spot. He had an old fancy typwriter that had a window that let you see into the inner workings of the type writer. Mine was about flamenco dancers:
Flamenco dancers
aren't very brave they only
dance with castanets

Faith's was:
Dorothy's slippers are
on show in Alaska.
There's no place like Nome.
He would finish with a flair by standing up and announcing to all that he had a haiku to read, and then read it in a loud voice to all within earshot.

 While Faith and I were waiting for haikus, Will and Ivy went to a neighboring table where you got a free sketch book if you drew a picture in it first.

 Will had his picture taken with the mascot of the Golden Knights. He feels akin to all mascots now.

 Faith's first poem was about being an evil math tutor. It was really funny and got her through to the second round. In the second round the girl who talked about the subversive nature of being female got through ahead of her along with the girl who waxed poetic about her eating disorder and the African American guy who will be a rapper someday waxing poetic about race.

 The LV Book festival is held downtown at the Historic 5th Street school. My kids were only mildly accommodating to let me take pictures of them in front of the old gymnasium, "Okay, you can, but we aren't going to smile about it..."


Having fun with my new camera. Hopefully it will keep me taking some more pictures...it certainly would help me blog more!

3 comments:

HW said...

Oh I love it when you blog! And I'm so impressed with your red shirt re-making skills! I loved every word and picture. The haikus were wonderful. And I loved the old school pictures. The kids agreeing grumpily is just so true to my life too.

HW said...

Also, your skin looks all glowing and beautiful. Faith too. Love it!

Paige said...

Tough mudder. It seems like I got all excited about trying that for myself when we talked about it in my back yard. Then I forgot about it for several months. Then Bill completed it. Kinda shows my level of commitment, I guess.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...