Tuesday, August 20, 2019

First Day of School

Faith took pictures of Will and Ivy on the first day of school for me this year. Just like she has done for the past 2 years...have I mentioned how much I'm going to miss her???

The first day of school was over a week ago now, but I was too overwhelmed all last week to even talk about school - let alone blog about it!


I was the first one to leave for school. I left at 6 am and my first day picture was a selfie in my classroom. The first week of school was a big pain and I didn't get to teach any Spanish. I laid out the rules and convinced students that I was serious about my rules. I hated it. In fact, on one of the days Faith came and had lunch with me in my room and I told her that I wanted to quit! I decided to cut my plans short on going over all the rules and policies to jump into Spanish this week and I am back to much happier days. Even though my classes are huge and some of my students are crazy, I still love teaching Spanish.


Will and Ivy left at the same time to catch the bus even though they are going to different schools and leave from different bus stops.



Will had cross country the very first day of school and has had it every day of school and on Saturdays. He is running his guts out. They have them running in the afternoon heat 3 times a week. Two times a week he is running early in the morning before school with the team. He has a really great schedule:
-Spanish III H - I'm pretty sure that Will is taking this just for me :)
-English 9H - the teacher isn't great for this one and Will is stuck with a bummer group for his first project.
-Biology H - this is a good teacher that I have substituted for.
-Cross Fit - Will raves about the teacher and is excited for this one.
-Guitar I - everyone who has this teacher says that he is the best teacher they have EVER had in their lives. I am especially excited for Will to take from him.


Ivy has come home every day saying that she doesn't want to go to school anymore. This is sad. And kind of normal for middle school. She is slowly getting her feet under her. Today we went to get her physical done so that she can run cross country with the middle school team. She is determined to be faster than Matton, who has an older brother that runs on the HS team and a mother who I am determined to avoid from now on. Her school schedule is only okay:
-Computer Science - this class is a nothing class. She doesn't even have the teacher for this class that only has one hand...that would have been much more exciting.
-Math - I never even hear a think about this class except that her teacher is the wife of her PE teacher from elementary school and she reminds Ivy of me a little bit.
-Science - Will had Mr. Wright for science and hated him, but Ivy likes him so far, plus Derek is in her class and Derek is her best friend.
-Band - This is the one she talks about. She is really excited about her new shiny trumpet that we rented from the store that Will Ladd works at :)
-Reading & English - this is a block class (erg) and she has the same teacher that Will had and didn't like.
-

This is technically from before the first official day of school. I had started, but the kids hand't yet. We got to see Eliza!! It was so much fun to have her stop in for a short visit and some Mexican food. Faith was working this day, but Will and Ivy were able to eat with us at Robertos and Eliza is always a breath of fresh air. Loved loved loved seeing her!


Faith's last day of work was last Saturday. She has been making lists and packing and getting pictures of her dorm room from her roommate who is already moved in! Her first day of school will be next Monday. She and Bill will drive up to Reno on Thursday and she will check into her dorm on Friday. I am trying to be happy about this and stop wishing that she were staying at home and going to UNLV. She filled out an application today to work in the math lab on campus.

It's a strange year. It seems momentous and that as things are coming down to the wire I don't have time to really absorb it all. Maybe that's for the best too!

5 comments:

HW said...

I loved all the details! I loved hearing the rundown on each class for Will and Ivy. I hope Ivy's year takes a turn for the better quickly. Middle school can be so hard! And your pictures are wonderful. Will is looking so very long! And Ivy is already tucking in at the waist and starting to look like a teenager. We must tell her to stop that! I hope that your classes shape up too and that teaching Spanish wins the day--and the hearts of 200 students. Wow. I'm so impressed that you make a point of talking to each one of them face to face. That's what will really win the day. Good luck to Faith too! I'll be thinking of her taking off for her new adventure tomorrow.

Paige said...

This is such a hopeful post, and yet poignant at the same time. How did that happen? I'm excited about IV playing trumpet. If she doesn't have a huge ego already, I can give her lessons on how to grow it. That really helps with a hole Trumpeter image. Are you kids truly pigeon-toed. Is that a thing that bugs you as a dancer? Also, I'm excited for your Spanish Odyssey. You have such great School Stories. They are a treat for me

Paige said...

Voice recognition is getting a little better, but I do know how to spell my niece's name. I V Y, right?

Paige said...

I quickly went through this one again, and my big thought was how your kids make skinny jeans look extra extra extra skinny. All that running does have an effect.

Paige said...

I quickly went through this one again, and my big thought was how your kids make skinny jeans look extra extra extra skinny. All that running does have an effect.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...