This week started off with Bill in the ER. I made the mistake of going to work on Monday, but should have stayed home to help him get his prescriptions filled. Instead I stayed home Tuesday and that is the day when the pain finally broke. I think it's the day his abscess drained too. By Friday when we went to the ENT (which I was really scared to do because I thought maybe they would have to drain the abscess) he was in much less pain and the ENT prescribed a steroid and promised me that by Monday he would be much better.
About a month ago I had a student in class one day and the next her father had to let the school know that she had run away. She still hasn't come back and I am really worried about her. She's a bright little spark. People in class have noticed her absence too.
Faith got a new freelance job. She has zero of the qualifications they were looking for. It's a company that sells men's products. She reached out to them and told them it was painfully obvious that they didn't have any women working for them. She said that they really needed the female stamp of approval and that even though she wasn't a man, she definitely had opinions about how men look and smell. They hired her on the spot. She is writing 3 articles a week for them, but they would like her to be writing 6 a week.
Will had his first two volleyball games this week. They lost against Arbor View, but won against Bishop Gorman. He is still keeping in touch with his running friends (who are mad at him for not doing track) and plans to run cross country when the volleyball season is over in a few weeks. He is looking quite snappy in his new jersey and I was really relieved that there were some overachiever mothers who were more than willing to provide snacks for the games...because I didn't get to the grocery store in time. Maybe next week I'll up my mothering game. I took him to the endodontist on Tuesday where we learned that he could either get a root canal or have .tooth pulled and drag the others into place around it because he has braces. He thinks he wants to get it pulled rather than have the root canal, but this time have an oral surgeon do it instead of the dentist (that was a bit of a nightmare.)
Ivy's bus didn't get her home in time for her broadcasting class on Tuesday, but luckily her teacher has her for art too and knows that Ivy is always trying her best. She was really nice about it. Plus Ivy was texting with a girl in the class who it sounds like was keeping everyone abreast of the situation :) Ivy couldn't find a rec center program she was interested in participating in so we have decided to do weekly activities with friends. We even made a list of what she wants to do and how many can come with social distancing. Next Friday is movie night so it's going to get real up in here!
Bill and I went on an adventure yesterday. We walked around Veteran's Memorial Park in Boulder City (where they were having a dog show) and then drove to our old neighborhood. I took him by where I thought the Dennett's lived (on Rawhide?). I wasn't completely sure, but we also drove by the Coplin's house which seems much smaller now. We then went out to Canyon point (waaaay past the dump). The dirt roads got a little sketchy so we walked the last bit. It was a fun jaunt and I was pleased with Bill's stamina. Definitely not back to normal by any means, but he is able to get out a bit now.
![]() |
| Boulder City is waaaay off in the distance. Past the mound on the right, but before the mountains in the background. |
![]() |
| Bill standing on the edge of the canyon. The white bridge on the left side of his head is where we part to hike at White Rock and Bell Rock. |
![]() |
| Another windy day to be outside, but it was nice to get out of the house together. |
![]() |
| You don't have to get very far from town to feel like you are in the middle of nowhere! I love the brown rocks and HUGE blue skies. |
![]() |
| He's cracking up about being a sophomore on the B team. (There's varsity, JV, and the B team.) He mostly doesn't mind playing with the freshan. He just is loving the game! |
![]() |
| Will is his team's "libero". It means that he wears a different colored jersey than everyone else and subs in constantly on the back row throughout the matches. |






6 comments:
Dang, the ER again. I am so sorry. Abscess don’t sound fun no matter where they are. I am glad Bill is improving.
I am sorry about the missing girl in your class. That is a real worry.
Volleyball and new jobs and the other stuff sounds so great. I wish we were closer to come watch Will play. Libero is a great spot to play since you get to play a lot! Lots of love to you guys. Also yes, come see the baby goats!
Oh the lovely vistas of Nevada. How wonderful they are, particularly with you and Bill. That's a great photo of you two. Will has a great attitude despite tooth problems. Ivy keeps the world going round and round. Faith's opinions about men's products will doubtless change things for the better. You guys are wonderful!
I hope Bill's recovery is swift.
Look at Faith being all cool and clever! Love that cousin of mine! I'm glad that everything seems to be looking up for you guys!
I'll keep that student of yours in my prayers.
Also, I don't know how interested any of you would be, but there is a cute little volleyball anime called Haikuu on Netflix that might be fun to watch.
Fun, Azya! I wonder if Will has seen it. I think he must have watched something that got him into volleyball so much and he loves anime!
I hadn't seen this one! I love Will's take on life and that he thinks it is fun and funny to be on the B team. What an excellent guy! And I loved the Boulder City hiking pictures. I still feel nostalgic whenever I go there. So glad Bill is on the mend! Good luck with Ivy's plans!
Post a Comment