Sunday, October 23, 2022

Ofrendas, running, hiking and haunted houses

This week my colleagues and I made an ofrenda for the the school in the library for the upcoming Day of the Dead. I put a picture of Mom on it (in the crate with the pink papel picado) and some Hershey Hugs. My contribution was all the black plastic, the crates and the turquoise fabric. Also, I stood on chairs and affixed most of the things a tall person would need to.

 Ivy's last meet was this week. Coach Tondryk said that the top 9 girls would go to regionals and state and Ivy came in 10th for Coronado, but she ran her heart out and beat people she has never beat before. She also is still practicing with varsity and Coach told her not to turn in her uniform yet. So who knows?
These are Bill's clapping hands cheering Ivy on near the middle of her race. This time she didn't say, "I think I could have gone faster," at the end. So proud of this runner! Ivy has gotten fast enough that I can't run with her. I have to ride a bike to keep up with her and help pace her. It's fun to see her progress.

This weekend Bill and I went hiking at Devil's Bowl just off the road that goes around Lake Mead from Henderson to Overton. It was a fun hike and it helped it feel like a real weekend. Most of our weekends have been races and sleeping off crazy work weeks. It was great to get out in the nice weather.




Will has been super busy with school, work and friends. He is also still part of the cross country team even though he can't run until the doctor gives him the thumbs-up, he goes to all the practices and rides the stationary bike. He goes to the meets and helps set up and cheer people on. His works up to 10 hours each weekend and still finds time to do fun things with his friends and practice playing the guitar for Faith's wedding :)

This weekend he and his friends did a "walk and talk" which is just his speed right now on Saturday morning and then in the evening they went to the haunted corn maze in Moapa. I think he had a lot of fun. 

2 comments:

HW said...

You made me want to make an ofrenda! We should all celebrate Dia De Los Muertos, no? It's so much more appealing to me than Halloween. (My kids were devastated to miss the ward trunk or treat because we were in Utah though.) I just love the reports on everyone. GO IVY!!! And Will is an excellent friend. What an awesome XC bro to stay involved even though he has been forbidden to run. You and Bill hiking and taking selfies and clapping seem just right. Dang I love you guys! And I'm getting all keyed up for Faith's wedding. I'll be dreaming about a fun guitar solo!

Paige said...

Wow. You really know how to yank on a girls heart strings, don’t you? Knowing that my mom’s picture is on an Ofrenda was so satisfying to my soul. Plus, pictures of devils bowl at lake mead. I love that place. I miss it. Also I miss you!

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...