Sunday, October 2, 2022

The week I turned 48

 It was a big week at our house. On Wednesday there was a meet at SECTA (Southeast Career and Technical Academy). It was only a 2 mile race instead of a three mile. It was pretty chill except for rumors that one of Will's teammates was getting disqualified for tripping a kid who was trying to push him and having words with a parent. Both Will and Ivy had a good showing.

On Thursday I took off work to take Will to Nevada Orthopedic and Spine. As we filled out paperwork, we weren't sure we were in the right spot as we were pretty sure that what Will has been experiencing was muscular. We were wrong. The doc took an x-ray of Will's leg and wanted further info. He said that his femur looked like it had "cortical lucency" where the pain was occurring- I looked it up. It means the bone looks less dense than it should. We got in for an MRI same day as he was leaving for a meet on Friday and scheduled to run Saturday.

He's mostly quite pleasant to be around - even when it's early and he is pushed to his limits because he didn't get breakfast and we ended up at the doctor's office for 2.5 hours.

I thought the view from the waiting room at NV Ortho and Spine was lovely.

Mid-day, Will went to school and practice and I cleaned house and played with the cat. The doctor told Will not to run, so he worked out on the stationary bike in Coach Tondryk's room during the run.

After school and practice we went to Steinberg diagnostics out in Spring Valley for an MRI. We had to wait a bit, so we took pictures of Will in 2 hospital gowns.

Then later, I saw the sign that says you shouldn't be taking pictures at this place. Oh well. Mistakes were made. I think nobody got hurt.

The nicest receptionist ever was working at this location. She noticed that my birthday was going to be the next day and found this stress ball cake for me. It was the right kind of cake for me :)

Friday was my birthday! The worst part was that Faith's flight was canceled and she wasn't able to come for the weekend. She texted me first thing in the morning and did a cute Instagram story about my birthday. Dad and Marj called during my first period class and I answered because it was my birthday :) They sang Happy Birthday to me and it was fun. I got a fun package from Heather earlier in the month with a dress I have already worn to school and a necklace that I showed in an earlier post. I also texted with Joel who sent me his favorite book that I am now reading, In Search of Captain Zero. I also got to talk to M'Li before my birthday. I missed Paige's call on Saturday, which was a bummer! I was showering after my run.

On Friday Will and Ivy left early in the morning for Huntington Beach as we waited to hear from the doctor about the MRI. I went to school where it was the birthday you would expect at school. I was told by a student that I look like a nun (the picture below is the one I took of me on my birthday to show Joel my "nun eyes". Also it reminded me of Mom a little bit.)


During my eighth period class I gave my phone to a front row student and told them it was their job to tell me when my phone rang (because I'm terrible about that and needed to answer the call from the doctor that was coming around lunch time.) When the call came it wasn't good news. Doctor Thomas said that the problem is not muscular. There is a bone irregularity. He said it's either a stress fracture in his femur or he has a benign bone lesion that can be treated, but either way he shouldn't run this weekend. Bummer. We'll get in for a CT scan this week and get a better idea of what is going on.

Bill and I went out to eat at Juan's Flaming Fajitas on Water Street in Henderson. It was really good, but made both of us so full we spent the rest of the night recovering!

Ivy sent pictures from their trip to California. She had a great time and even medaled. JV girls took 3rd over all and Ivy was the 4th Coronado finisher in her race. She set a personal record at 21:52 and had a blast with her friends. 




Once the race was over, Will had more fun. It was really hard not to be able to run. Both Will and Ivy got me birthday gifts from gift stores at the beach. Will got me knee-high Frida Kahlo socks and Ivy got me some beautiful blue stone earrings. Sweet kids.

Bill and I picked them up at the school last night. They were happy and tired.











4 comments:

HW said...

Oh my goodness! It starts out as a regular birthday post, but then you dumped in a bunch of worry about Will! And it isn't quite over yet either! I am so sorry he didn't get to run. But I am thrilled for Ivy. And your selfie does remind me of Mom too. We got such a good mom!

I hope the news from the CT is good. Please keep us posted. I will pray for all of you.

Kayci said...

Basically what Heather said. I am sorry Faith didn’t make it for your birthday weekend too. I thought of emailing you happy birthday wishes but obviously that is as far as it got. Sorry.
I am glad you and Bill had a good dinner and your students were helpful with your calls during class.
It’s so great that Ivy did so well and so crummy about Will.
Sending prayers from the Richins as well.

Paige said...

Will is perrenially funnny, despite bone problems. I love the photos of him, but especially because you broke a rule nobody pointed out until to late. You have lovely, caring, generous children. I’m glad they took

Paige said...

Oh. Happy birthday as well.

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...