Saturday, August 16, 2014

Everyone Crops Their Pictures

When we lived in Stamford, there were two professional photographers in our ward. I was visiting teacher to both at different times. I learned from them, that only half of the picture taking process (or less) happened at the time of the photo shoot. Most of the time was spent in editing and cropping pictures to make them look better than real life.

I was privy to a conversation between a friend and one of these photographers. The friend was saying how it was hard to get those beautiful without trying pictures of her kids at home. The photographer friend simply replied, "Everyone crops their pictures." The message was: The house isn't going to be perfect, you just have to crop the mess out.

As I did this little photo shoot of my kids I thought about that as I put a sheet up to cover the mess of my desk and our ugly carpet. I wanted pictures of Just My Kids...not the house.  Having said that, some of my favorite pictures are not cropped.  I have a picture of Will and Ivy when they were about six and two years old standing in front of our silly blue van - and I love that picture. It shows the Arizona license plate and that crazy blue van right behind my smiling kids. A little slice of what life was like then.

I have a video of Faith when she was about a month away from being baptized that was taken in our post Christmas mess house that I just love. She talks about really being ready for baptism.

The following are bad pictures that I love anyway.









And a silly video to go with:

7 comments:

Hugs, Mom said...

This is so much fun. Made me think "I have worse shots than this." Maybe we should have a contest.

Paige said...

Faith is about the age M'Li was when she got too old for the rest of us. I hope that doesn't happen to your house -- life was much more fun when M'Li loved to play.

kj said...

Yes, Mom! Let's have a bad picture contest!! I want to see your bad pictures!

HW said...

Even your bad pictures are good!

Kayci said...

I know it is done and can see it 'a merits but I really like uncropped and unedited at all pictures mostly the most. I love your choices.

HW said...

I hadn't seen the video till now and didn't know it even had Will in it. Your kids are adorable! And I love Ivy's little voice wanting to do it too.

Another thing--Kayci's comments reminded me that even our choices of what we post are a form of editing. No one is ever going to see the panorama of the full experience of our lives except us. That thought always makes me want to put the camera down. But it makes for such bad blogging!

Rachael said...

"The following are bad pictures that I love anyway" - best line I've read all day!! Hilarious!

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...