A few weeks after Ren died and a few weeks before moving from Stamford, Connecticut to Cottonwood, Arizona I found out that I had gestational diabetes. It was one more thing to worry about during a time when there was plenty to worry about, but changing my diet and completely cutting out sweets was easy because I was doing it for my little unborn Ivy.
During the following two months I did some research and found some numbers that scared me: 2/3 of all women diagnosed with gestational diabetes later are diagnosed with type II diabetes. I remembered watching Grandma Glenda get so frustrated with pricking her finger to check her blood - and how hard it was for her to even get blood from the prick. I remembered watching Ren give himself insulin shots. That's when I decided that I would do what I could to not be a part of the 2/3 that get diagnosed with type II. I decided to stay on the diabetes diet.
As the weeks passed after I had Ivy I dropped weight quickly (I had already started losing before she was even born, just because of the nature of the diet.) I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight and kept losing. When I was ten pounds under my pre pregnancy weight I decided that watching carbs was a little too much and that I would just stick with no sugary treats. I gained back five pounds and held steady for over 3.5 years. Then we moved to Henderson.
I did great in Henderson for 6-8 months, but decided it would be okay to eat treats on occasion. It was a bad decision. Ever since I decided moderation would be okay, I have been battling my sweet tooth and pretty much losing.
Last month I shared with the Laurels how I was trying to claw my way back to not eating treats and how hard it was. After I got home from church I found the power within me to refuse treats again. It was a gift. I know it didn't come from me because the last few years have made me absolutely certain that I am a sugar addict - if I go down that road, I lose the ability to say, "No," to treats. I didn't know that by confessing, I would be given the gift of power to refuse, but that is exactly what has happened.
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fun Family Times
Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...
-
...that make me go "hmmmm." Ivy finally ditched Tiana to play shark with the boys today. It involved telling Tiana to "LET...
-
Four years old! July 19, 2012 At four, Ivy is 39 inches tall and 32.5 lbs which puts her just below the 50th percentile f...
-
I've always thought that facial toner was a complete waste of time until a few months ago when I found a really good one: Apple Cider Vi...
4 comments:
That is really GREAT! The Lord really does bless us when we humble ourselves and admit our weaknesses. I've been trying to follow your good example ever since I talked to you. BUT - when I confess I feel so good that I run quick and eat chocolate.
Mom is hilarious.
And I have the same problem as you. The missionaries challenged us to work on a Christ-like attribute and I kept thinking, "temperance". It must have been inspiration, because it has truly been a case of Heavenly Father showing me my weakness. I really struggle with temperance on treats and video games. Abstinence is MUCH easier than moderation. I hope to make it a strength--but it feels so far away! I think your example is a beautiful illustration of Christ helping make our burdens light. I love it!
Sweetheart! I am so pleased you are determined to completely avoid "Type II". I admire you lots. (Mr. Hugs)
Well done. Yours its a very ACTIVE and healthy kind of faith.
Post a Comment