Near the end of my mission, Mom sent me a card from Tonga that she bought from an artist that she really liked there. She must have sensed my apprehensions about coming home to a very changed life: parents gone, friends married and two years older at BYU. The outside of the card featured a painting of a strong Polynesian woman at the edge of a vast desert - legs shoulder-width apart and hands up to her head. Mom said that she saw me in her strong stance. I didn't see me at all. I saw Paige.
Last year Paige and I stood together on the edge of a vast desert watching Dad take off from the LGN airport on his birthday. I took this picture of Paige and thought of that card. Paige is who I want standing next to me at the edge of a desert. Her strength gives me strength.
Happy Birthday, Paige. Thank you for being strong.

4 comments:
What a lovely tribute. Paige IS strong. (And so are you too. You do hard things with grace.) I'm so glad to have sisters for all the hard things.
Wow, really?
Tears. Real ones. Does that negate the whole idea of being strong?
Absolutely not, Paige. You are still one of the strongest people I know. Period.
Post a Comment