Sunday, May 21, 2023

Things I haven't posted on IG, but wanted to

Did you see that trend about posting a picture of your person when you first met and then one now? Maybe I have done this before, but here are mine:

Kirsta Nielson and Bill Evans in a train station in Oviedo, Spain. Spring 1999 (taking a selfie before selfies were a thing!)

 

4/5 of the Evans Family at South Beach, Florida. Spring 2023

Will is graduating this week, so there will be more graduation picture to come! Exciting times here at the Evans' house! I told Will tonight that I think it's not fair that there aren't cords for kids who paid for their own gas and worked through high school. There aren't cords for sports either! He just didn't have time for all the clubs, but he is graduating with honors and we are all really proud of him.
I'm actually getting an 8 x 10 of the middle one of Will for the mantle.

The last part of my final exam has been asking students to evaluate the class and my teaching. I always tell them that they don't have to kiss up and I will give them points for whatever they write in the box - even if it is mean. I haven't gotten anything mean, and the comments have been largely positive. I really try to pay attention to the negative stuff. What this girl said is what half the class said about the people in that class. The other half of the class' favorite thing was having lots of friends in the class... Oh well!! Yes, we are all glad the year is over! 

Bill and Will went up to Delta to celebrate Grandma Joani's 70th birthday by looking for wild mustangs this weekend. They came home today and it was so great to have them both back. I did get a lot done while they were gone. I thought about mom working hard so that when Dad came home from trips they could relax and be together. She was so smart in her approach, don't you think? I try to copy the smart people I know - it makes me seem smarter.

Ivy went to a friend's house yesterday and I gave her a hard time about leaving me alone! She knows I can't be left alone! She had a great time at JJ's and even humored me by helping find things we may or may not need at the dollar store - like cellophane and candy to make leis for Will's graduation. Also bubbles, Lots and lots of bubbles for the wedding! Ivy is so good about putting up with me. I enjoy her a lot more than she enjoys me right now. I think she's right on target for only having a few more weeks of being officially 14.

2 comments:

Kayci said...

You and Bill were ahead of your time in coolness! I love seeing both pictures. You have great things happening in life! Congrats to Will and you and Bill for easing such a great kid and getting him to this big turning point in life!
Your end of year is even closer than our end of year. I love your student’s honesty and that you agree about the class. Glen use to give his students and exit survey to help him improve his teaching. You guys must be related.
Your mom was so wise. I am going to have to remember that advise and use it. I am glad you did and that your guys had a good time. Good job surviving alone for a bit. The way you talk about your relationship with Ivy is fun!

HW said...

Oh I love the pictures of you and Bill then and now! Maybe I should do that too. That would be fun. And Ivy is just so 14 right now. It will pass. And she is such a good sport too! Hahahaha! The grad pictures of Will were so much fun! He has more fun than most of the rest of the world, doesn't he? It's part of his savvy. And he got it from you. I liked the feedback on the test. Were the kids in that class trying to you too?

Fun Family Times

 Will got into town just before noon on Saturday and we played as hard as we could (some more than others) all Labor Day weekend. First we t...